The Honors College is teaming up with the MUSC College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery to create a formative new summer internship opportunity for honors students considering a career in academic medicine.
The PASS (Pipeline for Aspiring Surgical Students) summer internship program will provide 3 honors interns with an immersive 10-week experience focused on laboratory and clinical research and designed to prepare students for a career in academic medicine, all under the mentorship of Department of Surgery faculty.
As part of this partnership, students will also participate in the newly created Honors Summer Enrichment Program, which will enhance their internship experience through stipend funding, supplemental workshops, and peer-to-peer collaboration. Following the internship, students will present on their work at the the 2021 MUSC Research Day in November.
Applications are due Friday, March 5. For more information and application details, click below.
PASS interns will spend 10 weeks immersed in laboratory and clinical research, all under the mentorship of Department of Surgery faculty members. Potential opportunities for research include…
- Transplant Immunology and Surgical outcomes, specifically focused on developing novel technologies and therapies to promote organ tolerance in transplantation in the Lee Patterson Allen Transplant Immunobiology Laboratory or outcomes research in the Transplant Clinical Research Core
- Regenerative medicine, specifically relating to biomedical implants, biomaterials, tissue engineering, and 3D printing and visualization
- Surgical Oncology research, both clinical and basic research investigating mechanisms behind cancer development and prevention and/or outcomes of therapeutics in patients
- Cardiovascular research, focusing on basic mechanisms preventing cardiovascular disease and correlating clinical outcomes research
- Clinical outcomes research within the Surgical Outcomes and Innovation Network at MUSC Dept. of Surgery (SORIN) and in GI surgery and general surgery within the Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital Patient population
- Commit to working full-time (40 hours/week) for 10-weeks (exact dates are TBD)
- Apply for and participate in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, including pre- and post-summer workshops and cohort activities
- Present at the annual Perry V. Halushka Research Day in November ‘21
PASS Interns will participate simultaneously in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, which will provide them with a stipend for living expenses up to $4000 (participation in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program is required of all PASS interns).
Who Should Apply:
This opportunity is ideal for aspiring medical scientists considering a career in academic medicine (not just in surgical fields). For those thinking about pursuing an MD/PhD or MD/MS, this is a great chance to gain practical experience and bolster your application credentials.
To be considered, applicants must be a rising junior or rising senior currently in good standing within the Honors College.
1.) Apply to PASS
Applications should be submitted to Honors@cofc.edu (subject line: 2021 PASS application) by Friday, March 5 at 5:00 p.m. Applications must include…
- An up-to-date professional resume
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- A statement of intent (500 words). Statement should discuss academic and career goals and explain, in specific and persuasive terms, the importance of the knowledge and skill gained from participation in the PASS program to academic and career development. Prior research experience should also be discussed. Note: If the student is intending to enroll in summer courses or be employed, he/she must describe how course work, employment and any other commitments will be balanced with the PASS program expectations. Students are not permitted to enroll in more than one course during the project period.
2.) Apply to the Honors Summer Enrichment Program
Students who participate in the PASS program must also participate in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, which requires a separate application. Details about how to apply can be found here. The application deadline for the summer enrichment program is also Friday, March 5.