May 2018 Graduates
Prior to Graduation:
- Apply to graduate on MyCharleston prior to February 1st
- Submit Honors Graduation Form online by February 27th
- Submit updated resume to OAKS by February 27th
- Go to OAKS and click on Honors Advising Class of 2018 under your class list
- Click on the Grades dropdown
- Select Dropbox
- Upload to Resume folder
- Submit Senior Profile by Friday, April 13th.
- Complete Senior Survey online by Friday, April 13th.
- Attend Dessert with the Dean
- Email email@example.com 4-5 favorite photos to be shown at the May Honors Ceremony or Reception (due April 20th). Photos must be sent as attachments.
- Submit Bachelor’s Essay to Honors Online Repository by Friday, May 4th at noon. Printed and signed title page is also due to Mary by Friday, May 4th at noon. The Bachelor’s Essay will be due to your professor at a time that you have agreed upon with them. Ask your professor about his or her deadline. See Instructions for Completing and Submitting your Bachelor’s Essay on the Hub.
- Social Media– Remember to join the College of Charleston Honors College Alumni Linkedin group.
2018 HONORS CEREMONY
Friday, May 11th, 9am
Sottile Theatre (44 George Street)
This is a ticketed event. Seniors will receive information regarding ticket pick-up in mid-April.
If you have questions about any of the above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read the following information regarding your Bachelor’s Essay. There are also steps below explaining how to submit the Bachelor’s Essay to the online repository. PLEASE NOTE: You must use a computer on campus when accessing the online repository. Additionally, the wireless network in residence halls will not provide you access to submit your Bachelor’s Essay.
Instructions for Completing and Submitting your Bachelor’s Essay to the Honors College Repository
To fulfill Honors College requirements, you must submit the following—using the relevant Honors College forms attached —by Friday, May 4th at noon:
- An electronic copy of your Bachelor’s Essay, with the official Title Page form, submitted through the Electronic Bachelor’s Essay system.
- It is the choice of the advisor(s) whether to use a title page which requires signature(s) or to use a title page without signature(s)
Please note that you will submit a final version of your Bachelor’s Essay to your BE Advisor (and, if relevant, your Secondary Reader) in advance of the official submission deadline to allow time for final reading and approval.
Please complete the relevant forms as follows:
- Where indicated by brackets on the forms, please enter:
- Your Bachelor’s Essay title
- Your degree (Bachelor of Arts and/or Bachelor of Science degree)
- Your major(s)
- Your name
- The date and year of graduation (e.g. May 2017)
- The name of your BE Advisor and, if relevant, the Secondary Reader
- Remove all brackets and replace all red text with black text
- Cut-and-Paste the edited Title Page as a single page at the start of your Bachelor’s Essay before submitting it electronically by Monday, May 4th at noon.
If you wish to order a bound copy please return the order form, check, and a printed copy of your Bachelor’s Essay to Mary Moser by Friday, May 25, 2018. See the ‘FORMS’ tab for details.
Submitting Your Bachelor’s Essay Electronically
The new online submission system for Honors College Bachelor’s Essays provides a simple process for describing and uploading your essay.
Once submitted, your submission will be reviewed and then published to the Institutional Repository portal provided by College of Charleston Libraries.
PLEASE NOTE: THE STUDENT SUBMISSION SYSTEM IS ONLY ACCESSIBLE ON THE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON CAMPUS NETWORK.
Step 1. Visit and Register
The submission system requires you to register as a new user on your first visit. It does not automatically work with your existing student account. Therefore, you will first need to proceed to http://bachelors-essay.cougars.int:9000/register to register. You will be taken to the following page.
Input your email address and click ‘Register’. You will be notified that a confirmation email has been sent to your account. Then navigate to your email inbox, where you will shortly find an email message like the one below. Note: the email you receive will contain a different address (bachelors-essay.cougars.int) than the example image below.
Click the link provided in the email, and you will be taken back to the student submission system, where you will see the form below. Fill this form out, and click ‘Complete Registration’. You are now successfully registered with the system.
Step 2. Begin Submission
Once registration is complete, you will be taken to the initial submission system page below.
Click ‘Start your submission’. You will be directed to the beginning of submission process (See the screenshot in Step 3).
Step 3. Verify Personal Information
For this step, note that your name has been filled in with the name you chose during registration. PLEASE NOTE THAT FIELDS IN BOLD WITH AN ASTERISK ARE REQUIRED.
To complete Step 1, please input the department for which this essay was completed, your degree and major, and a permanent email address where you can be reached. If you have an additional degree and major, please input them in the optional Additional fields. Once done, click ‘Save and Continue’.
Step 4. License Agreement
The next step of the process is a simple License Agreement. To continue, check the box at the bottom reading ‘By checking here you agree to the above license in its entirety’ and click ‘Save and Continue’. Please note that this license only seeks to confirm your consent for submitting your paper to the system for online publication. You, the author, still hold all copyright control over your work.
Step 5. Document Information
The next step is to describe your document. The full page can be seen below. On this page, please fill out all required fields and whatever optional fields are relevant to you. This includes:
- Your graduation date (Month and Year)
- The type of document you are submitting (only ‘Bachelor’s Essay’ is available)
- An optional abstract
- A semicolon-separated list of keywords related to your essay. These keywords will help make your document more searchable later on.
You will also need to list any Bachelor’s Essay Advisors involved with your work. Be sure to check the ‘Primary Advisor’ box next to your Primary Advisor. This is required. The email of your Primary Advisor is also required. If you have any secondary readers, be sure to list those as well.
Finally on this page, there are embargo options for you to choose. An embargo is a request on your part as the author to delay the publication of your submission. This will typically only be relevant if your article is soon to be published in another publication and must not be published elsewhere beforehand. Current options for embargos as ‘No Embargo, ‘File Embargo’, and ‘Full External Embargo. If you are OK with your essay being published and made available immediately, please select ‘No Embargo’ and click ‘Save and Continue’. Otherwise, please select the Embargo Option relevant to you.
Step 6. Upload Your Files
On this page you can upload your primary essay document as well as supplementary files. The primary document must be in PDF format, but supplementary files can be in other formats (such as Excel or PowerPoint files). Once you choose each file, click ‘Upload’. Once complete, click ‘Save and Continue’.
Step 7. Confirm & Submit
You’re almost done! Review the information you have entered to be sure it is correct. If anything is incorrect, click the ‘edit your information’ link below the relevant section to make changes. If you are satisfied with the fields, click ‘Confirm and Submit’.
Step 8. Completion
Your paper should now be submitted. You will receive an email confirmation similar to the one below. At this point, the paper will be reviewed. Upon approval, your essay will be published electronically to the Library’s Institutional Repository system at http://repository.library.cofc.edu.
Bachelor’s Essay Order Form
Bachelor’s Essay Title Pages and Advisor Forms
It is the choice of the advisor(s) whether to use a title page which requires signature(s) or to use a title page without signature(s).