La Cova- Tapas Bar

Are you tired of the traditional Italian cuisine?

The small charming bar area where you can order drinks & small appetizers.

I never anticipated the day would arrive when I grew weary of pizza and pasta. Don’t get me wrong- I wouldn’t have studied abroad in Florence if I didn’t love Italian food. I ate pasta and pizza almost every day for lunch and dinner, and pastries for breakfast.  About half-way through my abroad journey, I began to yearn for some contrasting flavors. I could not believe I was actually getting sick of the local cuisine.  After living off of this delicious yet limited diet, I began to long for some variety.  I dreamt about other food types, from sodium-filled Chinese sesame chicken to a classic American burger, to… ahh yes- Spanish food!  I stumbled upon La Cova Tapas Bar, located near Palazzo Pitti, on a late afternoon in Florence.  This restaurant offers a flavorsome alternative to the Italian cuisine.  La Cova’s menu includes tapas of all varieties, from traditional to fusion, while remaining at a low budget. Their wine selection is imported directly from the Iberian Peninsula, making a refreshing change from the Tuscan norm.  Give your tastebuds a break from Italian cuisine and enter a new realm of mouth-watering flavors at La Cova. This unique Spanish bar offers far more than meets the eye—beyond the somewhat cramped yet very quaint entrance, inside there is a whole other room that will leave you pleasantly surprised…

Sharing is caring?

When it comes to Spanish cuisine, the amount of choices can be overwhelming.  However, at La Cova, the portions are much smaller.  These small-bite tapas dishes are meant to be shared in a family-style manner.  With such a wide variety of small plates, you will be able to try lots of new things without spending an astronomical amount of money. Whether you are looking for a small appetizer with a drink or a filling dinner, La Cova will not disappoint. So, what should you order?

What are some classic dishes of the Spanish tradition?

Our 1st round of dishes: Patatas Bravas, Queso, Calamari Frito, and Sangria!!)

There is a wide array of dishes when it comes to Spanish food, and La Cova successfully delivers a sense of authenticity to each of their dishes.  One dish in particular that I thoroughly enjoy are croquetas de jamón(croquettes with ham).  These are essentially deep-fried balls of delectable goodness that are simply irresistible! Some other dishes from the menu include Bacalao a la Miel (Cod-fish), and Pincho Moruno de Pollo (Spanish-style chicken skewers). As for dessert, a Spanish go-to is crema catalana, which is the Spanish equivalent to a créme brûlée.  All of these dishes will make your face a little rounder and your heart a little bigger!

Personal pitcher of Sangria? Say less!

No Spanish meal is complete without a little (or a lot) of Sangria.  The drink itself is so lovable for many reasons. At La Cova, this drink is visually pleasing- the chunks of fruit are submerged in the deep maroon wine, accompanied with a wooden spoon to act as a stirrer.  About seven euros for a personal pitcher, this typical Spanish beverage is more than refreshing; the tart flavors are tempered by its sweetness, giving it a complex, exhilarating taste.  Whether you accompany it with a light appetizer or a hearty feast, this beverage will be the perfect compliment to your culinary experience. The menu even had more than one flavor of Sangria to choose from, and each one contained a mixture of brightly colored apples and oranges. It’s technically healthy since you’re eating fruit…right?

So, why should you come to La Cova?

Assortment of cute plants & flowers by the seating areas

As cute and cozy as ever, this room is carefully decorated with colorful flowers and eclectic items.  The wooden chairs and tables are of different shapes and colors, adding a vibrant yet rustic charm that makes you forget that you’re in Italy! With such a wide variety of tapas, from dishes like patatas bravas (fried potato served with aioli sauce and salsa brava), to melt in your mouth croquettes, you (and your tastebuds) will not be disappointed. This restaurant is perfect for an informal evening with friends, especially on weekend nights where there is live music!

Where can I find La Cova?