Bar Pitti

Bar Pitti in Florence, Italy

So, what makes this place so special? 

Bar Pitti has an aura about it. The kind where you feel a certain sense of warmth, and genuine happiness within the people who occupy the space. The restaurant is quaint and cozy, with a charming outdoor seating area. The menu is handwritten on paper menus in the finest penmanship that you can tell took hours upon hours of tedious work to accomplish. From the twinkle lights inside to the soft kind smiles of the staff who happened to be all family, Bar Pitti is a one-stop-shop for all of your Italian meals. Whether you’re having a long two and a half hour dinner catching up with a friend, or just need a quick bite to take home, this place is for you.  Bar Pitti is family owned and operated, and they want you to feel at home from the minute you step foot into their restaurant to the minute you walk out. And boy, do they succeed. 

Where can I find this hidden gem?

Bar Pitti is centered right in front of the Pitti Palace in the Piazza, just a short five to seven-minute walk from the Ponte Vecchio. The street is bustling with all different people, eager to learn about the history of Florence and smell the aromas of the food slow cooking around them, so be careful to not miss the sign. However, if you miss the sign you can spot it by the delighted faces sitting under the awning in front of the restaurant, experiencing the mouth-watering food that Bar Pitti has to offer. I came across this gem one evening while I was trying to find a good authentic gelato place near my apartment on the first or second night I spent in Florence. Instead of finding a gelato place that caught my eye, Bar Pitti was found, and I could not be happier. 

Do not miss the sign! It’s small!

What should I order? 

Bar Pitti sports a wide array of options stemming from its true traditional Tuscan roots. Personally, my favorite is the Gnocchi Sorrentina. The gnocchi is softly tossed in a robust tomato sauce that wraps each one in a deep but diluted red. The clear steam is gushing upwards towards your face, carrying a rich aroma through your nose. However, the gnocchi is not the only thing that drew me in the first night that I was lucky enough to waltz into Bar Pitti by accident. The appetizers are exemplar. From the blazing red bruschetta to the chicken liver crostini, your taste buds will be taken to heights you did not think were reachable. I also recommend you have an Aperol spritz to go along with your dinner, it’s the best spritz in town. 

You can also see a glimpse of the handwritten menus
The best spritz you can find in Florence

What makes Bar Pitti better than other dive restaurants?

Bar Pitti is above par in comparison to other dive restaurants because of its organic charm and authentic Italian food. It is not overly priced, so it is friendly on the wallet which is definitely a plus for us students. For those of you on the struggle bus ninety-nine percent of the time like me, you will appreciate. Most little hole in the wall restaurants that look like Bar Pitti is most likely tourist traps, that say their food is authentic, which it might be, but the prices are skyrocketed. You will never be turned away, no matter how busy. But most importantly, you will always be greeted with a smile and an enthusiastic “Buongiorno”!