Contempo Records

Street view of Contempo Records

Contempo Record

Looking for anywhere to let your musical yearnings free, those whose heart beat to a tune will find this to be one of the most extraordinary places. From the street, I wasn’t instantly drawn to the store with looks similar to every other Italian shop. Not much is seen from the street besides its sign which has muted colors and records plastered across it, but upon entering, things change very quickly. A seemingly quiet shop holds many great surprises as soon as you cross the threshold. Imagine, you see a brightly colored, neon vinyl store with records dangling precariously from the ceiling, it’s like a breath of fresh air compared to all of the dull colors found throughout the city. Alas, my curiosity led me through the front door, coaxed by the tunes drifting outside, and it did seem small at first, but I quickly realized there was much more to this deceptively tiny record shop.

Tell us a bit more about this place.

Some of the bright neon designs on the walls!

I began to do some research on my little record store and found that Contempo Records has been a record store and label since 1977. To me this was quite impressive and created a new air of importance about the shop. The store itself has a very relaxed atmosphere and decorations that resemble the 70s, from eclectic patterns on all of the walls to a fancy chandelier, there are many things to look at. I wanted to know a little more about the shop so I stopped by one day to ask them some questions. I discovered the owner is Giampiero Barlotti, he’s usually at the store with a smile on his face, and although he doesn’t speak English, there are a few other’s that work with him that speak enough English to help those who are visiting find exactly what they’re looking for. I also asked what types of genres were offered throughout the store and let me tell you, I was surprised with the variety! It really does not matter what music you’re looking for because I can guarantee that there will be a record with what you’re searching for hidden on one of the many packed shelves.

What is sold here, and who would find this shop interesting?

Just a few of the records in the store!

In my honest opinion, I think almost anyone could come and shop at this store, obviously if you’re really into records and older music you might enjoy it more than others. As a study abroad student, I felt like this store was an excellent place to get “lost” in. I found myself relaxed as I perused the many records tucked in their boxes. I myself like a lot of newer music and listen to genres like Hip Hop and R&B, but I even found records that fit my style, such as an old Eminem album. If you’re someone who will be spending a lot of time in Italy, this store has more to offer. The welcoming atmosphere and music alone make you feel at home. There are friends to be made and time to be spent bonding over the music held inside. The music in the store is organized in sections by whatever genre the record fits into, the front part of the shop holds most of its Rock sections and some American albums as well such as The Beatles. If you’re brave enough to venture into the back you can find country music, reggae, jazz and many other options that even I couldn’t believe that they had.

What kind of events does the store hold?

This lovely record shop will sometimes hold release events where artists can present their new work and sometimes even preform a few songs from their albums. The audience can talk to and ask the artists questions and can even get some autographs. They offer light food and beverages when they host these release parties. I went to talk to some of the guys that worked there, and they told me about the next event and invited me to come with big smiles and insisted that there would indeed be excellent food as well! Their social media sites are the best places to check out when their next events will be!

Wall art, and records inside!

Is there contact information or ways to buy online?

Yes! Contempo records has a wonderful website, that I have explored myself, where you can find links to their Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube profiles. All of their websites post dates and information of any events the store might be holding and viewers can also check out what records they have for sale. They have a website for orders: info@contemporecords.it and another website for news: contempo@contemporecords.it . The store is also open Monday-Saturday from 10:30am until 7:30pm and they are open Sundays from 3:30pm until 7:30pm.

Where can I find Contempo Records?