College of Charleston officially launches Akindi, the new Scantron alternative. Akindi is a more convenient bubble sheet creation and scanning application.
Akindi will allow you to:
- have multiple versions of a test
- print bubble sheets directly from your department printer
- grade bubble sheets from any networked scanner
- grade bubble sheets using your iPhone
- immediately get your test results and test reports
- use it as a standalone application or integrate it with OAKS and the OAKS Grade book
Uses for bubble sheets in the classroom:
While bubble sheets are normally used to give quizzes or tests there are other ways to use it.
- formative group assessment: have the student complete the answers together as a team then go to their table and scan their bubble sheet using your phone to tell them where there are misunderstandings.
- reading quizzes: have student take a short quiz on the readings or homework at the beginning of the class then use your phone to quickly grade them to help guide your lectures. Also serves double-duty to take attendance and uploads the grade into the OAKS Grade item.
- post class test for understanding: give a quiz the last 5 minutes of the class to test for understanding.
- rubrics: use them to score a rubric
- evaluation: use them as a likert scale to do a mid-semester student evaluation of the class.
Learn more about Akindi and watch tutorials at https://blogs.cofc.edu/tlttutorials/2019/06/06/akindi-scantron-alternative/.