SCAMP Research for Success

pic

This is a guest post by Emmanuel Lopez ’20

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 students from the South Carolina Alliance for Minority Participation (SCAMP) gathered to present their undergraduate research during the annual “Undergraduate Research Banquet” and thanked the program supporters for making their research possible.

Honors College Junior Bravada Hill who’s majoring in history and biology had the chance to travel to Singapore last summer for her research Functional Studies of Viral and Host Cell Factors Involved in Regulations of the Replication and Pathogenesis of Human and Animal RNA Viruses. 

The best thing, for me, about doing undergraduate research is feeling that I can apply what I’ve learned in my classes to use” said Bravada.

Not only did her research give her a chance to implement her skills, but it also reinforced her passion for the sciences. “In addition, it gives me a sense of accomplishment to be able to converse with faculty about research topics as a colleague. That’s a great feeling!” Bravada added.

Other Honors College SCAMP students who presented their research include Sondrica Goines, Heba Abdin, Victoria Bailey, and Joyce Biaco.

Junior and SCAMP member James Solomon, who presented his research Pharmaceutical Analysis during last year’s banquet and is majoring in applied mathematics, understands the benefits that come from undergraduate research really well.

“My best experience with research was being allowed to meet others who were also interested in my field. It allowed me to network and build foundations that both benefit me and my peers” said James.

Overall, undergraduate research is a great opportunity to get a hands-on experience while learning and preparing yourself for future challenges, and that’s why organizations like SCAMP emphasize the importance of it.

SCAMP is designed to offer incoming minority students interested in STEM fields an opportunity to develop college readiness skills in the summer (in collaboration with the SPECTRA program), attend conferences and career orientations in their first year at the College of Charleston, participate in undergraduate research their sophomores and junior years, and receive quality mentorship throughout their college experience. In addition to helping incoming minority students, SCAMP is an active organization in the community with multiple volunteer service projects.

To learn more about SCAMP student recognition, please visit The College Today!