Gilman Scholarship Gives Students Valuable Study Abroad Opportunities

Two College of Charleston students were awarded the nationally competitive, congressionally funded Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, which enables American students to gain proficiency in diverse languages and cultures. The scholarship program provides the opportunity of studying abroad to students who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints.

Cecilia Trejos ’25 and Honors College student Malaika Affonso ’26 were selected as 2023 Gilman Scholars. Affonso is a public health and international studies double major and Trejos is majoring in business administration with a concentration in real estate and a minor in Spanish.

“It has opened a door for me to broaden my academic journey past the borders of my own country,” Affonso says. “I’ll be taking an epidemiology class in Barcelona this summer, and I am so excited to learn these key facets of public health in the context of a Spanish case study, the Spanish flu.

“I encourage anyone eligible for the Gilman Scholarship to apply,” she continues. ‘I think studying abroad is an experience that would enrich the academic experiences and lives of every student.”

Read more about the Gilman Scholarship recipients in Amy Stockwell’s article from The College Today.