Alex Gottemoeller’s, So you had a heart all along

I really liked this poem. The personification of the ship was brought out clearly throughout the entire poem. Nice job! I loved the first line, “Your heart and my heart we live every pulse in tune.” It showed the intimacy of the relationship between the speaker and the ship right from the very beginning as well as giving the ship a heart, which showed the personification very well. The second stanza’s first line, “You have your cires, your calls, your quiet sounds of life and breat,” also clearly gives life to the ship as well. I also liked the idea that the entire ship is alive, including the ropes which you showed saying, “the ropes all sigh and whisper.” The third stanza was my favorite. I loved the idea of the relationship the speaker and the ship have. The whole idea about the two fighting was great, and I loved the parts about it being the same as when the spearker fights with his girl. That whole part was really funny. One of the best lines in the whole poem to bring out the relationship aspect of the poem was, “my heart start to beat all the faster.” It shows the affect the ship has on the speaker. It was really nice. I also liked the use of the word moxie in the last line. It’s a unique word and its nice to see words that flow better and sound better in poems than just average normal words. There was a few errors in the poem, I think just typos, but other than that it was a great poem. Nice job!!

Tiffany Metcalf

This entry was posted in Prof. Rosko. Bookmark the permalink.