Logan’s Response to Megan’s Poem 3

Megan’s poem “Things to Have at a Central Park Picnic” does a great job of providing imagery through similes associated with the images she chooses. I like that she compares a box of Valentine’s Day chocolates to the sweetness of love. She also compares a swanky sweater to a magazine cover, red pumps to the neon lights of Times Square (relevant to the Central Park theme in the title), pickles to a sponge, French Bread to desire, sliding on a sidewalk to the runway, and the faces of the city to the art at the Met. I particularly like the pickle simile because it is so vivid and brings in taste and smell senses, so much so that I could actually taste a pickle by reading it.

In addition to the wonderful similes, I love how the title connected the images in the poem. Not a single image was out of place or disconnected in any way. I like that it almost tells a story, bringing in the speaker’s voice through a kind of dialogue with the speaker and the reader by using pronouns like “your” and “you,” and even giving advice to the reader as if it is addressed to someone in particular, reminding them to cherish the faces the city holds.

This entry was posted in Prof. Rosko. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Logan’s Response to Megan’s Poem 3

1. E. Rosko says:

Work, too, to use the topics, terms, craft devices we’ve covered in class when discussing and analyzing a poem. Here, for Poem 3, image is certainly important, but also working to figure out how “no image is out of place”–how the poem makes a logic out of its contents.