header image

Student Spotlight: Karly Shirey ‘20

Posted by: murphys2 | October 4, 2019 | No Comment |

The School of Education, Health, and Human Performance values unique, culturally enriching experiences that deepen a student’s knowledge in their chosen field. EHHP is proud to offer the Gangarosa International Internship Program in Uganda where two students are selected each year to work with OneWorld Health and to immerse themselves in Ugandan culture.

Check out public health major Karly Shirey’s experience as a recipient of this internship.

What were your responsibilities over the summer as part of the Gangarosa International Internship program in Uganda?

My responsibilities over the summer as an intern began four weeks prior to traveling to Uganda to create in-field training materials, edit survey questions and create new question formats. My in-field responsibilities were to train enumerators to conduct three different surveys and conduct employee satisfaction surveys for the employees at the OneWorld Health facilities.

My post-field responsibilities included conducting data analysis on the data that was collected from the enumerators and the employee satisfaction surveys. Additionally, I presented my findings from the data analysis to the OneWorld Health headquarters staff, Uganda staff, and College of Charleston public health faculty.

How did this experience deepen your knowledge in the public health field and impact your education?

This internship helped me to gain a better understanding of health care sustainability. I was able to learn more about the field of global health and the many dynamics that lie within the field. I gained hands-on experience in areas that I had learned about in many of my public health courses at the College of Charleston.

What are your career aspirations or goals?

My career goal is to become a reproductive endocrinologist to help women suffering from conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and endometriosis, in addition to helping treat infertility issues in both men and women.

under: School News
Tags:

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories