Hispanic Studies, Student Focus for January 2020: Ms. Elizabeth Edmunds

By | January 3, 2020

HISP’s Student Focus for January 2020 is Ms. Elizabeth Edmunds

Ms. Edmunds, a major in Elementary Education and Spanish, has formed an important part of Hispanic Studies since 2018, when she began contributing her talents as a Peer Educator within the departmental Basic Spanish Language conversational supplement.

Besides honing her pedagogical and linguistic chops and edifying her peers, Elizabeth has been active in other areas–both at the College of Charleston and beyond–serving as Assistant Membership Director for the Phi Mu Women’s Fraternity and tutoring local children through Charleston Hope.

In her own words:

The Department of Hispanic Studies has made my academic experience a dream. I have never met a Spanish professor I have not loved. Over my six Spanish courses thus far, I have been met with encouragement and support. All of my professors loved what they do and wanted each student to succeed. I feel valued as a student and as an individual as each of my professors truly knows me and I am not just a name in a class. This is such a unique feeling, especially in college where it is often hard to form relationships with professors.

I am so excited to be putting my language skills to test as I will be studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain in the spring semester. Immersion will improve my Spanish exponentially and I will truly get to experience Spanish culture firsthand by living in the country. I am so grateful for the opportunity and ability to be able to live abroad as it is something I have always wanted to do.

I plan to use my Spanish skills by teaching bilingual students or teaching in an immersion school. Spanish is an increasingly important language to know, especially living in the United States with the growing population of Spanish speakers. I am excited about all I will learn on my journey abroad.