RSS Feed

Charlestonians in the 2016 Olympics

0

August 8, 2016 by Garrett Mitchener

Dear Diego,

I’m writing this on Friday, August 5, 2016, which is the day the Olympic Games start. Several students from the college where I work are competing. They sailed for the college.
Stefano Peschiera was in my calculus class. He will sail with the team from Peru. His event is a race in a small sailboat called a Laser.
Enrique Jose Arathoon is sailing for your country, El Salvador. He also races a Laser. He is a student here and is almost ready to graduate.
Paris Henken is a student now. She sails with the American team. She sails a two-woman skiff called a 49er.
Juan Maegli is from Guatemala and will sail with their team. He was a student here several years ago. He held the flag for Guatemala in the opening ceremonies. I don’t know what kind of boat he sails. He was a student here a few years ago.
Christian Taylor is close to some members of my church. He does track and field events, like jumping and running. He is on the American team.
I hope you get a chance to see or hear some of the Olympic events. I’m not much of an athlete, but I can enjoy other people’s athletic gifts.
Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 9:25-26 that athletes practice their sport a lot just to receive a small prize. In those days, the winner of a race was given a wreath. Today winners are given medals, which last longer than wreaths, but they are still just things. Paul encourages Christians to practice just as hard at being a community of love as athletes practice their sport. God will give us a world made new again as our prize.
One last thing: I think I gave the wrong reference to a verse in a previous letter. I meant to refer to Psalm 111:2 “Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them.” Sorry about that!
All the best,
— Garrett Mitchener

0 comments »