A Weekend in Vienna by Savannah Petrelli

Over Spring Break, my cousin and I decided to leave Paris and go to Vienna. I have always wanted to go because I have seen all the beautiful photos of Austria and I wanted to experience it for myself. The first day we decided to go to the The Hofburg Palace and learned about the family that once ruled over Austria. The museum was based around the Empress Elisabeth of Austria and we got to see her story as well as their old apartments. The collection of silver was grand, and her crown jewels were absolute beautiful. Sadly, we weren’t allowed to take any photos, but I recommend it to anyone visiting. I learned that she was loved throughout Austria but was sadly assassinated.

Next we went to the National Library. It was one of the prettiest libraries I have ever seen. The ceiling was painted all around and there was a grand statute in the middle. My favorite was looking at all the old globes, it was interesting to see how the conception of the world has changed over time. They also had pages from books that were hundreds of years old. Then for dinner that night, we decided to go for an Austrian/German meal and got Schnitzel, a type of breaded veal. I also got the dumpling soup in beef broth and it was delicious. We had dinner in an old wine cellar with live music, it was a great experience.

Then the next day, we went to Schönbrunn Palace. It was a beautiful day out and the yellow building glowed in the sun. After touring the palace, we walked up the hill to the Gloriette. We took pictures of the view of Austria and then got some desert at the café. Then that night we went to another Austrian restaurant and enjoyed more schnitzel. Overall, it was a great trip.