Hispanic Studies Faculty Focus, March 2022: Prof. Eileen Shields

By | March 7, 2022

Prof. Eileen Shields is Hispanic Studies’ Faculty Focus for the month of March, 2022.

A graduate of the College of Charleston (B.A.) as well as of The Citadel (M.Ed. with a minor in Spanish), Prof. Eileen Shields has had an impressive academic formation, which also includes studies at the Instituto de Arte y Cultura Puertorriqueña, as well as at the Universidad del Sagrado Corazón, Puerto Rico.

As one might expect from someone with such a pedigree, Prof. Shields has had ample professional success over the years, including—but certainly not limited to—her teaching at North Charleston’s prestigious Academic Magnet High School (between 1997 and 2019, serving as Department Head from 2000-2007), at Summerville High School, at The Citadel and, fortunately for us, in the Hispanic Studies Department at the College of Charleston (1990-2018, 2020-present).

Among her many accomplishments are her designation as a College Board AP Spanish Reader and AP Spanish Teacher, her National Board Certification in Spanish and her published work of fiction, Magia y Locura (Nosyotros Editores 2007).

For all of the above, and for so much more, Hispanic Studies is pleased and proud to be able to count Prof. Eileen Shields among its own.

In her own words:

CofC has been my home since 1976, where my teachers and colleagues have inspired me to be best student and then professor that I can be. I hope to continue to bring forth the wonderment of a smile and the love for languages and cultures from my students, while celebrating the richness of our cultural diversity“.