With Who: Foundation Fighting Blindness
Location: Raleigh, NC
Type of Employment: Full-time
Position Description: The Foundation Fighting Blindness is the largest nongovernmental foundation supporting retinal disease research in the world, funding rigorous scientific discovery and clinical trials to preserve and restore vision. We are a national organization with offices in Columbia, MD, Raleigh NC, Chicago IL, Los Angeles CA and New York NY.
Working with preeminent scientists, the FFB has funded breakthroughs in gene therapy, stem cells and bionic retinas, providing a historic opportunity for a promising new era in human clinical trials. We are the largest non-governmental source of research funds for inherited retinal degenerative diseases. Over the past four decades, FFB has raised more than $760 million to fund research studies worldwide.
We are seeking a dynamic, experienced and organized Director, Events to be part of our team. This position will be based in RALEIGH, NC.
- Provide direction and strategic management of the Events program and staff in collaboration with the Vice President, Events. This encompasses management of staff as well as the overall goals, strategies and initiatives
- Achieve the events’ budgeted revenue goal by personally soliciting corporate sponsorships, selling tickets, securing financial donations, and attending donor meetings.
- Collaborate with regional Events Managers to identify, develop, support, implement and expand sustainable new and existing events
- Collaborate with regional Events Managers to increase local sponsor recruitment and retention, as well as identify and implement plans to engage regional and national corporate sponsors
- Collaborate with regional Events Managers to use chapters and events as a means to increase participation, fundraising, and awareness
- Build and implement strategic plans for the region to increase year over year revenue and identify and engage new leadership to ensure event sustainability
- Ensure the regional Events and Major Gifts teams are working together to develop and implement strategies to meet the shared goals
- Recruit, manage, and empower events staff by providing structured guidance, training, and direction with event expertise
- Recruit and manage active volunteer fundraising committees/chapters.
- Develop accurate and reasonable timelines (with duties, deadlines, benchmarks) and budgets that are attainable yet aggressive
- Provide engagement opportunities for members through community socials and Speaker Series Presentations.
- Be responsible for oversight of the Budgeting, forecasting and accounting, negotiating contracts, tracking expense and revenue budgets
- Supervise and coordinate on-site logistics, vendors, volunteers, speakers and oversee execution for annual sponsored Visions Seminars through regular travel on event day
- Provide guidance and oversight of fundraising programs such as walks, galas and dinners
- Work with the Communication & Marketing Department to market events and programs to targeted sponsors, FFB members, and the public at large, as well as provide opportunities to highlight FFB family and event stories
- Provide volunteer support through face to face meetings, phone and email contact, and public speaking engagements including VisionWalk Previews, Kickoffs, Chapter socials, and corporate cultivation meetings.
- Work with Database Department to coordinate training programs pertaining to Events staff training and module use
- Ensure the Events program has effective systems for budget oversight, event reporting and analysis of all aspects of the program.
- Supervise budget management for all events and work with staff to review monthly financial reports and reconcile any discrepancies
Please send your resume with a cover letter stating salary requirement and overview of fundraising accomplishments. We offer an excellent salary and benefits, and a terrific team environment!
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 7+ years of demonstrated experience managing staff in a non-profit fundraising organization
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage events. Requires experience coordinating event logistics, working with volunteers, prospects and donors, and management of large scale events program
- In-depth knowledge and experience of securing & working with high profile event speakers
- Experienced at securing corporate sponsorships and stewarding existing sponsors
- Experienced at budget development and management
- Requires expertise in strategic management of volunteers, boards, high profile speakers and major donors
- Ability to work independently in field focusing on critical issues; to recruit and supervise staff and/or volunteers
- Must have strong leadership and management skills and actively contribute in a team environment
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Requires excellent attendance and be must be accountable for quality of work
- Must be fully proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Must have strong working knowledge of relational databases and knowledge of WEB utilities
- Must possess valid driver’s license with driving record acceptable to FFB insurance carrier
- Some travel required
Apply (or see more job posting information): Submit your application today via the CofC Alumni Career Center!