Reflection on a Spring Break Experience Abroad–by Grace Gardner

On February 28th, I had the incredible opportunity to travel to Mexico City over spring break with the Honors College at the College of Charleston. While there, I had the chance to experience Mexico in an interdisciplinary way: through art, history, and culture. I traveled for a week with eight classmates and my professor, who provided us with a rich and diverse education on all the places and sites we went to.

The experience of taking an interdisciplinary class affected me on a personal, professional and social level. I have learned about many countries in my college career, but being able to travel to a country after learning about it makes for a much more integrated experience. I didn’t just learn about the Aztecs and their contribution to society, but I got to climb Aztec pyramids and touch the ruins in the Museum of Anthropology. I had the opportunity to work on my Spanish language skills, conversing with our taxi drivers and Mexican students.

It was a privilege being able to take this class. For the first time I realized how little I, and most Americans, know about our neighbor to the south. When people hear the word, ‘Mexico,’ it is normally associated with negative images. People often think of drug cartels, party beaches, and illegal immigration when they think of Mexico, but there is so much more to Mexico than that. Traveling to Mexico City has completely shifted my view of Mexico and has given me the opportunity to share that positive image with others. It challenged me to globally rethink my views of other countries, as well as wonder about other countries’ perceptions of the United States. Mexican Americans make up 11% of the United States population and it is necessary to understand Mexican art, history, and culture, in order to strengthen the relationship between the US and Mexico. Reading Mexican political texts has made me rethink my ideas about immigration and economics, and after traveling to Mexico, I firmly believe that a strengthening the ties between Mexico and the United States would be mutually beneficial for both countries.

After dedicating half a semester to the study of Mexico, it was extremely rewarding to travel there myself. I had a wonderful time getting to know my Honors College classmates and professor on a deeper level, and it was an experience I will never forget.

-Grace