Inspiration In The Natural World

Nature is honestly a constant inspiration to me. Since moving to South Carolina I have actually felt quite disassociated with nature from living right in the city and not owning a car to travel to nature. When living in Maine I had nature right outside my back door and could walk to numerous walking and hiking trails. Maine really shaped my love and passion for the natural world and taught me that I find so much peace within and beneath the trees or laying in a grassy field with the sun shining. I would be happy living in the forest next to a babbling brook, foraging for food and not having to face politics and our polluted society that is today. Although this is not an option for me even the thought brings me a bit of happiness. In the meantime I try my best to find nature wherever I go and find peace within that space. I go to the Battery often and do yoga or listen to music or even do my homework. Just the presence of the trees and fresh air brightens my experiences.

Humans use nature as a resource so often but the simple act of living and being in nature is rarely taken advantage of anymore. I feel humans are meant to have a relationship with the natural world and that anxiety and depression could come from this society that we created with little nature involved. I was very delighted when seeing this option for a blog post because it is important to be in touch with nature and many don’t put as much weight or importance on this action. Although it may seem pretty simple or easy it is sometimes the hardest to get out of your own head and be in the now and appreciate everything around you. I love meditation and yoga so that is what I did during my trip into nature for this blog post. It is more challenging still being within the city because of the noise pollution created but this just adds a little more challenge to your inner concentration. I have not been able to reach complete peace in South Carolina yet but everything takes practice and adjustments!

When I first find myself in nature I make sure I find the perfect spot to spend my time. I always bring a blanket and usually a snack. Most of the time I find the sunniest spot with the softest earth, whether it be sand, grass, clay, dirt, or even a flat large rock. Under a tree is always wonderful on especially hot days, those just didn’t come often in Maine. This time I found the best spot on the grass far enough away from disturbance. Then I just flow and do me. I stretch and listen to music while practicing yoga usually finishing with meditation. While I practice yoga I like to be aware of my surroundings and let all my senses thrive and enjoy the breeze that brings cool air and wonderful smells of different plants and flowers, listen to the ocean and the birds singing, children giggling. Then while meditation I focus on my core and my own body to gain concentration and less thoughts on stress or unimportant jumbled thoughts. Overall I always leave nature happier than entering and this simple fact is all that is needed to know the natural world is important for human’s psyche.

5 thoughts on “Inspiration In The Natural World

1. I definitely agree that it can feel like you are disconnected when living in a city. There is something peaceful and inspiring about being surrounded by trees and wildlife that you just don’t get in a concrete jungle. Though I know it may not be the same as living in Maine and being surrounded by hiking trails everyday, you can still find nature everywhere. I always try to find green spots on campus and in the peninsula. For me, even a study break in the Stern Gardens or at Hampton Park can completely change my mood for the better. Maybe look into joining the outdoors club so you can have a few weekend escapes from the city? It can be frustrating being constantly surrounded by buildings and pollution, but there are little bits of nature everywhere.

2. Your post resonates with me. I couldn’t agree more about feeling disconnected from nature. There are just not enough greenspaces downtown to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle. If you can , James Island County Park is amazing. I sometime go into the dog park just to meet and pet other dogs. It makes a world of differences in my mood. Supposedly there is a green space being put in on the west side. Fingers crossed thats happening, it would be a lovely place to go for a run!

3. I also find nature to be inspirational. I think that I’ve been so caught up in how beautiful our campus is compared to more restricted colleges such as CSU, that I did not realize how much of nature we are actually missing. We definitely experience a ton of pollution and disruptions living downtown. My hometown, Greenville, Sc, is also heavily industrialized so I can’t say that I’ve had any true connections with nature. However, I’ve always liked the idea of being more connected with nature.

4. Just reading this post honestly brightened my day. The importance of the beauty and connections that we have with nature are inseparable. After going to the College of Charleston for two I’ve realized the mutual roles the environment and us share. Peacefulness as well as being content and comfortable in my surrounds are only a few effects a healthy environment has on me.