Bailey’s Response to Madeline Barry’s Poem 3

The moment that I read the title of Madeline’s poem,

The Jealous Monster Inside of Me That Even Daoism Can’t Tame

I was immediately drawn in. Its length and incongruity grabs your eyes and attention, and while I was reading the poem the title continuously played a part in how I deciphered the lines that I read. I love when titles of poems, novels, or works of art grab your attention at the start because a title is not simply a name. A good title introduces you to the deeper meaning of what you are about to read, or defines the character, theme, or object of importance the reader should focus on carefully while diving into the form of art.

Madeline clearly has a solid grip on metaphors and imagery in the poem. Also her ability to really capture what the narrator is feeling through small hints peppered into the writing, such as the mention to the narrator’s trip to Mexico about the boots, and the constant referral to the italicized rules in their head. I’m not sure what the purpose of the italicizing is—perhaps it describes the inner thoughts of the narrator, or it outlines the moral rules in the narrator’s mind—I enjoy the ambiguity, however.

The only hint of critique I have to offer is how out of place the last two lines seem. I like the lines, don’t get me wrong, and I don’t wish for them to be removed just placed elsewhere. The third to last line, “It is your inability to do what I do that makes you a better person,” would suffice as a finishing thought to the poem, but again this is all personal opinion. Unless, however, the writer wants the last two italicized lines to seem as if the narrator’s thoughts are trailing off into wondering whether she/he is attempting to recollect their moral thoughts? I hope that makes sense.

This entry was posted in Prof. Rosko. Bookmark the permalink.