“Dear Thin Line” Response

I enjoyed reading this poem for the notion it brought to mind. The thin line becomes so much more than an abstract tool used as a guideline to life. At some points the line is a divide, a way to separate two different ways of life, “At times I can’t decipher which side of you I am supposed to be on.” Though at other times it becomes a path of life, a trail that cannot be strayed from, “It’d be appreciated if you thickened your edges, gave more room to wobble and follow.” It is interesting that this thin line, though it does not have a mind of it’s own, is still controlled by forces other than the speaker, “People say which way you are supposed to go, but your predicted paths have been so wrong in the past; not sure if I can trust another to tell me where to go.” It is interesting that although the line represents where the speaker is going to take her life, everyone else is influencing it’s direction or at least attempting to. I believe that the form of this poem, an epistle, is the perfect way to convey the theme presented. It addresses the line in such a way of familiarity and partial pleading that the thin line becomes personified quite lovely. My favorite part of this poem was the ending ” You can let me fall, but don’t let me down.” I like the idea of what the “falling” represents in life and it’s clever to end it on the note that she is dependent on the line.

This entry was posted in Prof. Rosko. Bookmark the permalink.