Jailbreak 5 Charleston

jailbreak logoOn Saturday November 16th, I attended Jailbreak Arts & Music Festival. It was my first year attending the event. I had heard about previous years and always thought a party at the Old City Jail would be awesome. Redux also had a screen printing station set up there that I helped with earlier. Seemed like everyone really chipped in to make this happen. They had Redux there, food trucks, Holy City sponsoring the beer, Charleston Dance Alliance, and DanceFX, a lot of support. Entropy Arts, the American College of Building Arts, and Ear for Music financed the  majority of the event.

I got there early to help Redux set up. It was also my friend Mikey’s birthday, he is a bit of an old man at heart so we got to see a lot of the early comedy. I am not the biggest fan of stand up comedy or I guess my standards are set high, but Jeremy McLellan was really funny, his awkward stage presence made his act. It was great to see all of these mediums of art coming together for 6 hours or so, something I haven’t seen since Spoleto. I, however, was more interested to see the music. I had never seen SLO before. I know most of the guys in the band and know they generate a good bit of hype I had just never had the chance to see them. I thought it was great, not what I expected at all. I was expecting a reggae feel  by their personalities but I was way off. I was also very interested to see MindRobber as well. I was intrigued by the video they posted on Jailbreak’s website so I had to check it out. I have a deep seated appreciation for electronic music. And his set up reminded me of some basement parties in Detroit. It wasn’t great but it was so fun to watch him work all of his gear. His set up was very expensive to say the least, very cool for Charleston, SC.

I thought it had a great turn out and definitely lived up to the hype. Would definitely recommend going next year. Great opportunity to support local art.