Charleston Symphony Orchestra

On October 17, I attended the Charleston Symphony Orchestra at the Sottile Theater in downtown Charleston. The Orchestra featured the music of Dvorak’s seventh symphony.  Miss Maude Winthrop Gibbon and Mrs. Martha Laurens Patterson founded the Charleston Symphony Orchestra in 1936.  The Charleston Symphony Orchestra’s mission is “to enrich the cultural life of South Carolina’s Lowcountry with high-quality performances of symphonic and chamber music, and unique and engaging music education opportunities throughout the region.” The conductor, Perry So, is very young and has collected many awards throughout his career.

I had a really good time at the Orchestra.  The music was very beautiful and moving.   The Orchestra very accurately brought the spirit of Dvorak’s music to life.  The theme of the music changed a lot, and occasionally the audience would get a sense of darkness in the outer lying layer of the music.  Dvorak’s music is very classical, and I think that the Charleston Symphony Orchestra brought the spirit of classical music to the table. I really enjoyed the Charleston Symphony Orchestra and I believe that they very successfully captured the spirit of Dvorak’s music while at the same time personalizing it with their diverse talented musicians. I was very reluctant to attend the concert because I am not big on classical music, but I recommend that everyone attend at least once, because it is worth your time.  Even if you are not into classical music, the Charleston Symphony Orchestra will not disappoint.