How the hofbrau houses were established in Bavaria

3 thoughts on “How the hofbrau houses were established in Bavaria

1. I found this article about the development of white beer to be very interesting. I had never heard of white beer before this class, but it is fascinating how brewing white beer was originally considered to be a waste. I can understand how this may have been a significant risk for Maximillian I. to undertake, as the wealth of the Bavarian nobility depended on its success, but it seems like this investment paid off in the long run with the development of nearly a dozen state run breweries. I am interested in learning more about how the public received/enjoyed white beer after the breweries were transferred from state control.

2. Just to start I find it very interesting how they started out of necessity. Brewing in Munich was totally banned in 1571 and people needed a new place to go. And whats funny is it got slightly unbanned just to accommodate the court, the rich can drink but the poor cant. And after the demise of the Degenberg family, one of the heir’s of the Degenberg family Maximilian I. planned to gain control over the families white beer operation. After some bankruptcies, banns, and acquisitions the Degenberg and Schwarzenberg families owned it all. They continued to dominate the white beer industry for the Court, and are now considered to have. created the oldest white beer brewery in Bavaria. I find it super interesting how much happened and had to be overcome to continue this brewery in a world where it was technically banned. However, good for the Degenberg family for making their name.

3. I do not think that it was fair that the Duke was able to have beer while his subjects had to endure a ban.