Studying Abroad: If You Can, You Should by Mary Hirsch

Three months in Trujillo, Spain went by far too quickly. I cannot believe my study abroad experience has come to a close and I am leaving my happy place.

I have a few words of advice for the future study abroad student. First of all, when you pass by that cool café and think, “I’ll have more time next week and I’ll stop in there,” the weeks fly by and you probably won’t go back. So, do things spontaneously when applicable! Also, I don’t recommend getting an international phone plan. In my opinion, the best option is to buy a portable Wi-Fi before you leave the states (such as “hippo”).

My study abroad experience prepared me for my future career by giving me a broader mindset as well as a refreshed sense of determination. Being surrounded a multitude of different cultures and leaving home for a few months did wonders for my mental health and allowed me to be truly open-minded.

Studying abroad has definitely impacted my identity and place in the world. Before I left, I was positive that I wasn’t going to be “that girl” that says that going to Europe “changed me” and that “I’m an entirely new person” after only three months. But, I’m actually proud to say that this trip has positively impacted my opinions and personality. Living with a host family that spoke a foreign language forced me outside of my comfort zone and exploring the world with new-found friends will inevitably influence your life.

I made so many memories in these three months that I won’t forget and made a few forever friends. If I wasn’t a senior, I would be happy to study abroad again. In my absence, you should definitely study abroad!