Siesta by Kanyn Bloodworth

The art of slowing down, it’s something the Spanish have mastered. I was shocked to find out that the concept of “siesta” was truth here in Spain. I thought to myself, “How could you just stop your day after lunch and rest? Don’t you have work?” Well, to my surprise, yes, yes, you can just stop your day. I soon found out that every day like clockwork, after a large lunch around 3pm, everyone collectively takes a rest. Shops close, restaurants close, and blinds close as napping ensues. Alongside the shock of the ritual of siesta, I quickly realized everything happens so late here. From late rising in the morning, to lunch midafternoon, and light dinners around 10pm, nothing ever feels rushed. I have grown to love this lifestyle. It gives me the ability to take better care of myself and further appreciate spending time with my host mother and my friends. I enjoy being able to be in the moment and not feel the pressures from my everyday life back in the States. Perhaps it is because this quaint city of Trujillo strays away from the usual hustle and bustle of Charleston, or maybe the attention paid to the little things here holds more value. Slowing down has vastly improved my way of living, and I plan to bring some of these practices back home with me when I return in December. Another major cultural difference I have noticed here is the importance of the time spent sitting at the table after a meal. Once your plate has been cleared and you’re full and happy, you stick around to catch up. Interestingly enough, there is a word for this in Spanish. It’s called “sobremesa” and it literally translates to the time spent relaxing at the table after a meal. During this time, conversation ranges from all topics and it’s never forced. It gives me time to strengthen my Spanish conversational skills as well as discuss my day and get to know my host family better. I love this time of day because usually back home everyone always seems to be in a rush after lunch to get back to work. Or if not in a rush, it’s usual to just go through the motions with conversation. In Spain, that is not the case at all. I will always be grateful for this time I’ve spent studying and living abroad, and most importantly, for the chance to experience such a relaxed way of life, even if it was for a short period of time.