Living Like a Local by Sarah Holcomb

I have been in Trujillo for two months already and time is flying by. I know my way around for the most part and I don’t really get lost anymore. I still can only speak a little bit of Spanish, enough to get me by I guess. I am learning more and more about the language as time passes and I think I can understand it pretty well now. Learning about a new culture is so exciting and even when I am home I want to continue to learn.

I’ve recently joined in on the nightlife scene which is so different than in America. I think that nightlife is a staple in the Spanish culture. Everyone is always out until the break of dawn, even my 9-year-old host sister. Bars and clubs won’t open until late, really late. Sometimes it doesn’t even get crowded until 3 in the morning which is usually when things close in the United States. I have met a lot of really interesting people when I go out at night and I think it is a great way to dive deeper in the culture. Trujillo is starting to feel like a second home. When I am away on trips, I am relieved to come back here. It if full of amazing people and even better scenery. My host family has been so sweet and so kind to me. I have two younger host sisters who are absolutely amazing, and I am grateful that I get to experience having a sister even if it’s only for 3 months. They teach me more and more about their culture and their city everyday which has been a lot of help. I think I am finally comfortable here and I could not be happier