Daily Routine in Spain by Libby Feruck

Since I have been in Barcelona, I have finally settled into a decently regular daily routine even though it changes frequently. My daily routine consists of waking up at about 8 AM or so every morning. My daily routine revolves around my different class schedules Monday through Thursday. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I have a Spanish class from 9:15 to 10:45 AM and then Architecture and Painting class from 4:15 to 5:45 PM. Since I have a long break in between those two classes, I will normally go home in between and do homework, laundry, eat lunch, and whatever else is on my “To-Do List” for that day. After my second class ends at 5:45 PM on Monday, I go grocery shopping for the week with one of my roommates, Mayana. However, Monday and Wednesday nights are the big nights to go out, so I usually get together with my friends for dinner around 9:30 PM and go out after that. The nightlife in Barcelona is insanely fun but much different from the nightlife scene at Charleston which is considerably calmer. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have my Media and Politics class from 11 AM to 12:30 PM and then my International Journalism class from 2:30 to 4 PM. Since I have a shorter break in between those classes, I will not go home in the middle of them. Instead, I will go to one of my favorite cafes, Bar Lobo, and do homework on the patio while drinking a cappuccino. Considering Tuesday and Thursday nights are not the main nights to go out, I usually make dinner at home and prepare my work for upcoming assignments. Since we do not have class on Fridays, my friends and I will usually travel on the weekends from Friday until Sunday. So far, I have traveled to Amsterdam, Netherlands, Brussels, Belgium, Madrid, Spain and Mallorca, Spain. We have flown out Friday morning for almost every trip we have taken which has allowed us more time in another place. We will usually get back on Sunday afternoon and prepare for the
upcoming week and start my weekly routine all over again. The weekends that I have stayed in Barcelona have been great because I can discover the city more genuinely. When I have stayed in Barcelona for the weekend, I will sleep in a little more than usual each morning, try new restaurants, walk around exploring new parts I haven’t discovered yet, and always make time for long meals with my friends. My daily and weekly routines stay pretty consistent but it is always fun to switch it up and do something spontaneous considering I will only study abroad once.