A Reflection by Trinity Nichols

“My name is Trinity Nichols, and I am majoring in Political Science with a minor in European Studies. I am currently a rising senior. Recently, I had the opportunity to participate in a College of Charleston study abroad program in the United Kingdom, where we explored both England and Scotland.

I chose this particular program due to my keen interest in European affairs. After graduating in 2024, my goal is to join the Peace Corps, and I hope to be selected for Eastern European countries like Moldova or Albania. However, I would gladly embrace any opportunity that comes my way.

This study abroad experience reinforced my existing aspirations; it didn’t change them. Prior to this trip, I had never been outside of the United States. Upon arriving in London, I instantly knew that returning home would be difficult because the experience was simply spectacular. My classmates were amazing, and we all got along exceptionally well. Our professors, Dr. Olejniczak, and Dr. Long, were not only incredible teachers but also wonderful people. Every aspect of their well-planned program was absolutely amazing, from museum and theatre visits to exploring various restaurants, all of which deeply immersed us in the local culture. The transition from the United States to the United Kingdom was remarkably smooth, thanks to the support of my professors and classmates. I can’t praise them enough for their contributions to my overall experience.

My most cherished moments abroad were spent in museums – there’s honestly nothing I’d rather do all day. Museums are the perfect places to experience culture, learn, and meet new people. Every interaction I had within a UK museum was truly remarkable. They are abundant and mostly free, so whenever I had the chance to spend time in one, I gladly did.

Some of my most memorable days abroad were in Loch Lomond, Scotland, specifically in a town called Tarbet. We stayed at the Tarbet Hotel, which was located right by the lakeside. During our few nights there, I found myself sitting on a dock by the loch, utterly captivated by the breathtaking view. Those hours I spent by the lake were some of the happiest moments of my life.

While in Tarbet, our entire class would walk to a little restaurant called the Slanj. It became one of my favorite times spent together as a class during the trip. We bonded, had meaningful conversations, and enjoyed delicious meals. Just reminiscing about it brings a tear to my eye.

The academic experience during this trip was enriching. Learning from College of Charleston professors while being in a different country was incredible – a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The College of Charleston has some of the best professors in the world, and having two of them teach us in the United Kingdom was truly remarkable. Experiencing the material we learned in the classroom brought a whole new level of understanding, and our smaller, intimate classrooms were ideal for learning and engagement.

We visited numerous historical sites, with the Palace of Westminster being one of the most remarkable places. To tour such a historic site and learn about its traditions was awe-inspiring. Following the tracks of King Charles I’s trial was an unexpected highlight of my time there, although it might seem macabre to some.

A few weeks later, we had the privilege of visiting the Scottish Parliament. I never imagined I would get to tour Scotland’s Parliament building or have the opportunity to speak with an MSP (named Ben Macpherson). Sitting around a table and asking Mr. Macpherson questions about Scotland’s political climate and its relationship with the rest of the United Kingdom was surreal. Being able to use the knowledge we gained in class to ask informed questions made the experience even more fulfilling.

My favorite museum from our class visits was the National Maritime Museum. Its use of art in the exhibits appealed to me deeply. It was eye-opening to see British art reflecting the mindset and actions during the time of colonization, while simultaneously learning about the atrocities committed against indigenous populations. It depicted British history as a time of ignorance, opportunism, and barbarity.

Studying in the United Kingdom taught me one essential lesson – the historical richness of other countries in comparison to the United States. Although it might seem obvious, I didn’t fully grasp its significance until I arrived. There are buildings in the United Kingdom that have been standing and operational since long before the United States was colonized. For instance, the Roman Bath Museum in Bath, England, revealed baths that are nearly two thousand years old – a fact that blew my mind. This experience has inspired me to explore more of the world and break free from the routine of everyday life, as there is so much more to learn and discover.

My time abroad opened my eyes to the incredible cultural diversity of the United Kingdom. Being a bit of a foodie, walking the streets of London offered an overwhelming array of food choices. From Indian to Portuguese, Nigerian to Filipino, the options were endless. Coming from a small village of only 1,800 people, where we have just one mediocre diner, experiencing such diversity and culture through food was truly special.

One memorable culinary adventure was trying Armenian cuisine. I ordered lamb, a meat I had never tasted before, and I can now confidently say that lamb might be my new favorite. The United Kingdom’s remarkable diversity allowed me not only to meet people from all over the world but also to immerse myself in their cultures through food – an eye-opening experience.

This exposure has ignited a desire to travel to these different countries, which would undoubtedly delight my taste buds but might be less friendly to my bank account. Nevertheless, the enriching experience of exploring diverse cultures through their culinary delights is something I’ll cherish forever.

Overall, my time studying abroad in the United Kingdom was absolutely fantastic. The camaraderie with my amazing classmates and the guidance of influential professors made the experience truly unforgettable. Moreover, having the chance to network with some of the United Kingdom’s most prominent figures was an invaluable opportunity. I will forever cherish the memories I made with those remarkable individuals and the enriching experiences of learning and immersing myself in Great Britain. They all played a significant role in validating my career path, and for that, I am immensely grateful. Once again, thank you to everyone with whom I had the privilege of creating lifelong memories and friendships during my study abroad experience. I really did have the time of my life and am forever grateful.

To any student contemplating whether to study abroad, if I could have any influence, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to do it. I cannot recommend this experience enough. It has been an extraordinary privilege, and the scholarships I applied for made it even more amazing by alleviating financial concerns.

My time spent abroad has undeniably prepared me for my future career. Stepping out of my comfort zone, forging new friendships, and networking internationally have boosted my confidence. Being in the presence of accomplished individuals might seem intimidating, but being able to ask them questions and learn from them has truly inspired me to follow in their footsteps.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m typically quite shy and reserved. However, from the moment I landed in the United Kingdom, I knew I had to embrace the opportunity fully. My goal was to immerse myself in European culture and politics, and having two incredibly knowledgeable professors made the learning experience enriching and efficient. Through this, I excelled both academically and personally, achieving the goals I had set for myself. Surprisingly, I discovered a part of myself that I didn’t know existed. This experience has instilled a newfound confidence in me, motivating me to seize every opportunity that comes my way. It may sound cliché, but this journey of self-discovery has been truly transformative, and I am now more determined than ever to make the most of every chance that comes my way.”