Stirling, Scotland by Shelby Olive

As the daughter of an Air Force pilot, I’ve gotten to experience the thrill of moving plenty of times before. I’ve moved from the West Coast to the East Coast and from bluebonnet planes to pluff mud and coastal tides. Every time I relocated; I was always taken aback by just how many differences those United States had to offer. How, even though it was just a few states over, there was a distinct difference in Georgian and Texan accents and temperatures and foods and fashions and…you get the idea. These differences, while legitimate, are nothing compared to the differences in Scottish cities. Moving abroad has shown me that it doesn’t matter how large your country is: if there are regions in it, there will always be regional differences. These last six months, I’ve been calling Stirling my home. Stirling is nestled in the heart of the country, which makes it not quite the highlands, but not quite the southern region either. Stirling is home to plenty of rolling hills, farmland, and Bens galore (Scottish for mountains!). Still, it lacks the modern thrill of a larger city. Thankfully, Scotland has an amazing railway system, and it has helped me check quite a few dynamic destinations of my list. Aberdeen was three hours away by rail, and there’s a reason it’s called “The Granite City”. Its imposing buildings are made of local granite, but its beachside location makes it a popular holiday (British for vacation) destination for locals. It’s a bustling city and home to a huge fishing and oil industry – plus the BEST ice cream parlor in the world. I’m so not ready to leav

e Mackies of Scotland behind. If you want to escape the city though, I must recommend booking a bus ride to the highland towns of Isle of Skye and Portree! The journey to get there is not an easy one to make, but when you have a lively local guiding you through the glens, (Shoutout to Andrew!), the five hours will turn into five hundred photos in your camera roll. The highlands are occupied by highland sheep and highlanders who have lived there for decades. It’s not for the faint of heart. With the cold temperatures, fierce winds, and dynamic landscapes, you’ll be hard pressed to find many Targets in these towns. But the remote location only helps to immerse you in the history – and the fact that many people still speak the native Gallic and Scots does too! But if cities are more your scene, Edinburgh is the place to be. The castle, the history, the ghosts, and the many souvenir shops make Edinburgh the culture capital of Scotland. In Edinburgh I climbed to the peak of the city, took in two stage shows, and went on a few magical tours as well. I have loved every second of my time in Scotland and am still in awe of its friendly people, beautiful views, and the freshest tap water on earth. I’ve missed Charleston, but I will always be glad that I once called Scotland my home.