Trying New Foods by Jerry Delgado

While abroad, I was a little weird about trying new foods. I am a pretty picky eater, I dislike many things such as seafoods, certain meats and many different vegetables but I am not allergic to any foods that I am familiar with. However, while abroad, everything changed. Before traveling to Trujillo, Spain I did not know what to expect. I did not know what eating with my host family would be like, what type of meals they would prepare for me and wondering if my stomach would adjust to the food.

One day, I just decided that I wouldn’t ask questions until I had tried the food. I ended up liking it, if not all them. My host family was very understanding about the food I was not too pleased with. I came across my favorite meal which was the ever delicious Paella. Paella is a Spanish dish which only some people can make. It is prepared with flavored rice, meats, seafood and sometimes lemon. I tried this dish for the first time while attending Carnival, which included many activities such as running with the bulls. Since then, I told my host family and they were able to make the same dish but only to be even better tasting.

Another dish in which I’ve grown to love was the famous Spanish Tortilla. The Spanish Tortilla was nothing like I would have imagined before tasting it. It had such a rich taste and it was so easy to cook. The Spanish tortilla consisted of eggs and potatoes. It is in the shape of a cake and they come in different sizes, some as big as a cake that can feed 20 people or more.

In order to get a picky eater like me to try new food, I had to eat the food first, then ask what it was later. If you’re a picky eater like me, I highly recommend his method because it not only helps you to try new things, it broadens your food spectrum and helps you to adapt to the culture more.