Traveling from the Czech Republic by Madison Mahrlig

The Czech Republic is very centrally located in Europe which means that weekend travel is very easily done and cheap.  When traveling in Europe, it is always best to check for student discounts.  I have found the best way to get them is to get an ISIC (International Student ID Card) as many bus and train companies will say they have student discounts, but only accept ISIC cards as proof of study.  I had to learn the hard way and buy a new full price ticket on a train for not having one. 

The cheapest way to travel is by bus I enjoy Flixbus or Regiojet as they have the best discounts.  Here is a list of all the places I was able to travel so far:

Berlin, Germany

Munich, Germany

Bratislava, Slovakia

Vienna, Austria

Pilsen, Czech Republic

Bohemian Switzerland, Czech Republic

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Kutna Hora,Czech Republic

Budapest, Hungary

Istanbul, Turkey

Krakow, Poland

You can also ‘Czech’ out student discounts for cheap flights if traveling to further away destinations like Italy or Spain.  The best train website for traveling in the Czech Republic is https://czech-transport.com/.  Another pro tip for travel is to always look at the prices on a website as well as the actual carrier.  For instance, you can look on Omio or Expedia and find a regiojet bus for $20, but if you go to the actual Regiojet website and put in your student discount sometimes it’s even cheaper. 

Traveling in the Czech Republic especially is really cheap.  I got on a three hour bus to Cesky Krumlov for only $2. This town is known as the fairytale town and is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited.  I went at the end of October, which is the slow season for the town and hardly and tourists were there. This town features a magnificent castle and many streets and shops to explore either for a day or two.  It is definitely a place not to miss if you study in the Czech Republic.

If you are interested in trying to get to the most countries as possible during your studies, the Czech Republic is definitely the place to study. Not only do they have many towns that have vibrant history of their own, with the exchange rate it is really cheap to travel.