Kansai Gaidai University by Jem Dahabi

Hello my name is Jem Dahabi and I am a theater major with a concentration in costume design. I am currently a junior studying abroad at Kansai Gaidai University in Osaka, Japan. I chose this program because I have always wanted to see japan and the Kansai region is famous for both its’ rich history and modernity. One of the main reasons I wanted to study in japan was so I could study and take inspiration from japanese street fashion, a subject I am very passionate about. I wanted to use this experience to broaden my artistic image and practice new styles of design using the inspiring and fresh experience around me. I won’t lie I was also very into the shopping aspect, because clothing in japan is unique and very inventive. I see people wearing the same items in so many different and creative ways that it has inspired me to get even more bold and crazy with my own daily style. Before my arrival I made sure to look into the area, the school, cultural norms, and most importantly the laws before I made a fool of myself. It is never a bad idea to have inform yourself about where you’re going before you leave and maybe even prepare a bucket list of things you want to experience while there. My advice to anyone wanting to study abroad would be to take advantage of any opportunity because you never know what kind of adventure you might make of it!