Sarah Dinning ’20 receives DAAD fellowship for study in Germany

Congratulations to Class of 2020 German and Marketing Major Sarah Dinning just received a year-long fellowship from the DAAD (German Academic Exchange) to complete the second year of her masters degree International Business Studies at the Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg! Despite the pandemic and lockdown conditions in Germany, Sarah has had a great first year in the program and is looking forward to the second–see her summary below!

“I graduated from College of Charleston in 2020 with a B.S. in Marketing and a B.A. in German, and decided that I’d like to use knowledge from both of those subject areas for my graduate education, so I applied for my Master studies in Germany. I’m currently working towards an M.Sc. in International Business Studies at the Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg and living very close to the old city of Nürnberg. Although it was an interesting start with all the lockdowns and quarantines, it’s been such a good experience so far meeting other people from all over the world in my program, and getting to immerse myself in the German language and culture. I’ve also started a working student position in UX Communication at Siemens Healthineers and it’s such great practice for my business german skills! While I’m really enjoying the coursework here, I think living and working abroad will be a great experience and really help develop my work skills. Even though Germany has been under a hard lockdown for a few months, it’s still amazing to live in such a beautiful city and really interesting to learn about the history of Nürnberg. Despite only grocery stores being open right now, I’ve still managed to find some great cafes (to go!) and discover nice hiking trails, castle ruins, and breweries, although there is so much more to Germany to discover. Fingers crossed for a better 2021!”