Campbell’s “Writer’s Block” sonnet by Isabel

I thoroughly enjoyed Campbell’s sonnet! It has a strong rhythm created by line, alliteration, and rhyme. The best part of this sonnet however is its content. The event of this poem follows a writer who cannot think of how to begin a sonnet. Almost, ironically however this sonnet is very well composed! I thought the interjection “Hey–writer’s block! I’m like Poe, ‘Nevermore!'” was especially charming in its pointing out a poetic anti-poem it also emphasizes the playful tone of this poem that is well maintained throughout.

The only thing I could put pressure on is the slightly irregular use of rhythm in line length. The pattern established in some of the lines make it desirable to the reader for this pattern to continue and when it is broken this is slightly irksome, though it may be a reflection of the content.

Overall I think this is an incredibly strong sonnet using some classic sonnet components, it is 14 lines ling using an aba cdcd efef  gg rhyme scheme but it displays some modern characteristics including plain speech, slant rhyme, and a coy anti-poetic event.

Great work Campbell!

Isabel Williams

Poetry 1 Wednesdays

This entry was posted in Prof. Rosko. Bookmark the permalink.