Improv with Theatre 99

Improv is one of the more curious forms of entertainment out there. Not nearly as widespread as classic, heavily rehearsed and perfected entertainment, it is created completely on the spot, which in itself may restrict its audience to those who can handle the spontaneity. When done right it leaves one wide-eyed in a state of disbelief, while when done wrong it leaves one cringing into their chair. When done right it leaves one wide-eyed in a state of disbelief, while when done wrong it leaves one cringing into their chair. I had the opportunity to experience the former reaction at Theatre 99 in Charleston, SC on Wednesday.

Immediately upon entering Theatre 99 you are presented with a sense of intimacy and community. The woman taking my ticket feels just as part of their collective as the performers who left me laughing for an hour. The theatre isn’t totally visible from the street, and it’s a small little place, so you really do feel like you’re a part of it too. This vibe will surely encourage many audience members to return, as the theatre itself combine with the audience-involved nature of improv does foster the idea that the audience is welcome and accepted.

One thing that did not impress me about Theatre 99 was their lack of clear mission statement or transparent records. Multiple Google searches and scouring their website left me nothing as far as a mission statement, nor were their records available on Guidestar. After leaving such a trusting and intimate sense of community from the show itself, qualities like this serve to jeopardize the audience loyalty if they suspect Theatre 99 isn’t truly putting all its money towards its not-so-clear mission statement.

Overall the people of Theatre 99 are doing a unique service to Charleston in a very amicable and effective way. They have clearly fostered a community of loyal audiences, as well as generating positive reviews, somewhat word-of-mouth, to bring in new audiences that are welcomed as if they had been there all along. I am interested to see how they grow further as a theatre, and how they adapt to the internet age more fully to reflect their sense of community that they show in person on the digital stage.