Civic Engagement Weekly Digest │ December 10th , 2015
Read below to learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities in the Charleston community. Volunteer announcements are either one-time events or ongoing service opportunities. Contact information is included with each entry. If you are searching for more volunteer opportunities email our office at:email@example.com. Please make sure to register/sign-up for events you plan on attending!
Alternative Break Opportunities
- Maymester: Puerto Rico! We have extended the application window for our Alternative Break Maymester Puerto Rico trip. Spend over two weeks in Puerto Rico learning about permaculture practices and sustainable living. Applications are available at: volunteer.cofc.edu and due January 8th by 5 pm.
- Spring Break: Charlotte! We have also extended the application window for our Alternative Spring Break to Charlotte, NC! This experience focuses on sustainable and affordable housing. Participants will work with Habitat for Humanity and other colleges from around the nation. Applications are available at:volunteer.cofc.edu and due January 11th by 5 pm.
- Communications Intern! Coastal Community Foundation is a nonprofit organization that helps donors set up permanent funds for charitable giving. Last year, CCF granted out $20 million to nonprofits. The Communications Intern will assist the Communications & Diversity Officer with print and electronic communications and public relations efforts related to CCF’s mission: to foster philanthropy for the lasting good of the community. The Communications Intern will work 15-20 hours per week and earn $10/hour. Resume and cover letter is due by 5 p.m. on January 8th to Monica Tanouye at: firstname.lastname@example.org. More details available online: http://coastalcommunityfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Communications-Intern-Spring-2016.pdf
Community Partner Events and Volunteer Opportunities
- Meals on Wheels! The Charleston Area Senior Citizens and their Meals on Wheels (MOW) program are looking for volunteers to better the lives of seniors! They serve senior citizens who may be low-income, home-bound, and may have moderate to severe physical restrictions. Volunteer shifts can last anywhere from 2-4 hours. To volunteer contact, Heather Browning, (843) 722-4217 or email@example.com. For more information: charlestonareaseniors.com
- Charleston Marathon! The 6th Annual Charleston Marathon runs January 16th, 2016! Funds raised from the marathon benefit arts programming for Charleston County Schools. You can volunteer before and/or during the marathon in a multitude of positions. Contact Kathy Molony at (843) 789-0450 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.charlestonmarathon.com for more information!
- Engaging Creative Minds! The mission of Engaging Creative Minds is to inspire the creative and innovative potential of all students to achieve academically and become imaginative, adaptable and productive adults. Help provide arts integration, whether it is creative design or collaboration and problem solving skills, in more than 20 schools! To learn more and sign up, email: email@example.com
- Lowcountry Herald Potluck and Donation Drive! The Lowcountry Herald is a newspaper dedicated to helping the homeless. We make newspapers, give them to the homeless, and the homeless in turn give them away and ask for a three dollar donation. The homeless vendors keep the money as a form of income. They hold a potluck every Sunday at 12:45–2pm on Trident Tech’s Downtown campus. Volunteers are needed each week for this to bring and/or serve food to the homeless. Bringing food is appreciated, but not mandatory. They also collect a wide variety of donated items, from toiletries, blankets, clothing, etc. For more information about the Lowcountry Herald and volunteer opportunities, please email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Families Helping Families! Palmetto Project organizes, Families Helping Families, a type of Christmas programming that provides food, clothing, and Christmas gifts for nearly 3,800 families with urgent and emergency needs. We need data entry volunteers to put applications into system that will then match families in need with sponsors. Also, We need warehouse volunteers to receive, sort, log, wrap, and distribute gifts to happy families. Get a group of friends and spend an afternoon helping to ensure that all South Carolinians have a happy holiday season! There are a multitude of dates and times to volunteer. If you are interested in helping out the Palmetto Project in another way, please fill out and submit the volunteer application by copy and pasting the following link into your browser.
- Communities in Schools! Communities in Schools and Lambs Elementary need energetic, caring mentors and tutors! Volunteers could work in multiple schools and gain valuable experience, while helping elementary students learn and grow! To get more information and become a volunteer, visitwww.cischarleston.org and/or email email@example.com
- Sandpiper Activities Volunteers! Sandpiper Premier Senior Living is looking for volunteers to interact with their residents in a multitude of ways! They are seeking motivated and energetic volunteers leading games (bingo, cross words, puzzles, shuffle board, etc.), helping put together socials, bible study and group luncheons. Interested parties should contact Marva Bland, Activities Director at (843) 881-3210 ext. 2215
If you’ll be in Charleston over break, be on the lookout for our December Newsletter for service events happening over Winter Break!