LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment (a student’s computer) within OAKS Quizzes. There are two ways to use it:
- Lockdown Browser – this method locks the student into the quiz/test and prevents them from going anywhere on the computer or web, from taking screenshots, or from recording their screen. It cannot prevent them from checking their phones or getting help from others in the room.
- Lockdown Browser + Webcam (Respondus Monitor) – this method locks the student into the quiz/test and prevents them from going anywhere on the computer or web, from taking screenshots, or from recording their screen. It also requires them to have a webcam on throughout the entire test, show their picture with a picture ID and show their testing area. When the test is finished, you can look at the videos of anyone flagged as suspicious.
*If you select this option and see a prompt that indicates you need to contact the administrator if you are interested in using it, just click Continue to Respondus Monitor. You do not need to contact anyone to use this.
Important Note: This system deters cheating and makes it more difficult but cannot prevent it entirely.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
- Students will NOT have access to Insert Stuff, Insert Image, or Insert Quicklink options when taking a quiz so if you are using those questions types that require any of those options then you should not use Respondus LockDownBrowser.
- Respondus Lockdown Browser cannot be used by students with a Chromebook.
- A work around for this would be to make a copy of your quiz/test, then release that quiz/test to ONLY the students with the Chromebooks. View a tutorial on copying a quiz and releasing it to select students.
- When using Respondus Lockdown browser + webcam (Respondus Monitor) if instructor wants to download the recording not just view it, they will need to request approval. For student data privacy reasons, Respondus requires that approval for the video download first be granted by the Respondus Admin. In order to better protect student privacy, Respondus cannot permit automatic approval of the instructors request. Visit the following page https://bit.ly/2GhRoU6 for information on how to request and the process for approval and downloading.
Important Best Practices
- Students will NOT have access to Insert Stuff, Insert Image, or Insert Quicklink options when taking a quiz so if you are using those questions types that require any of those options then you cannot use Respondus LockDownBrowser.
- Students need to be aware that they will have to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser and possibly disable certain settings (e.g., remote sharing) and apps (e.g., screen capture) before attempting the quiz. Knowing this, students should NOT wait right before the deadline to attempt the quiz, as this process may take 5-10 minutes or longer. A statement/warning should be included in OAKS, as well as in your syllabus.
- Consider letting students complete a practice quiz, with Respondus LDBM enabled, before their first graded quiz. Alternatively, you could enable Respondus LDBM on your Syllabus Quiz.
- Check out the Respondus LDMB Cheat Sheet for more information and resources.