VoiceThread is a learning tool for enhancing student engagement and online presence. With VoiceThread, instructors and/or students can create, share, and comment on images, Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, videos, audio files, documents, and PDFs, using microphone, webcam, text, phone, and audio-file upload. At CofC VoiceThread is an external tool that integrates into OAKS (D2L/Brightspace).
- online lectures
- language and speech practice
- online video discussion board
Watch the Recorded Webinar from TLT's March Training
Important Browser Information
- Chrome and Firefox are fully supported. Make sure you are using the latest version.
- Microsoft Edge and Safari can be used to open and view VoiceThreads but currently cannot be used for recording audio or video. If these browsers implement support for HTML5 in the future, audio and video recording in VoiceThread may be possible.
- Internet Explorer does not support HTML5 and therefore cannot be used with VoiceThread.
Creating a Basic VoiceThread for Beginners
Types of Media Available in VoiceThread
Adding a VoiceThread into OAKS
- Learn how to add a VoiceThread to your OAKS course in a way that all students can easily access them using the VoiceThread/OAKS integration.
Creating Graded VoiceThread Assignments (require to watch, post, create)
VoiceThread is a great tool that is integrated with OAKS (D2L/Brightspace) but few of us use it to it’s greatest potential. With the integration you can quickly and easily add VoiceThreads to Content as well as ASSIGN students tasks such as to watch a VT, comment 2x on a VT, or create their own VT! The grade can then be tied right to the OAKS Grade book.
This is a playlist of 4 videos. Click the lines at the top to navigate to the video you want.
Creating a Collaborative Class VoiceThread Assignment
We normally use VoiceThread (VT) to record lectures and occasionally allow students to comment or ask questions. But what about creating a single VT where all your students actually contribute the content? For example, instead of having every student create their own VoiceThread to introduce themselves, create one VT where each student contributes a slide. It’s easy to set it up so that students can edit the VT!
- Online discussion board
- Class introductions
- Foreign language practice
- Social Learning
- Hear multiple ways of solving a problem
Accessing VoiceThread's Accessibility Features
Automatic Closed Captions in VoiceThread Tutorial
This tutorial will cover:
- Creating CC for existing VoiceThreads made before 09/09/18
- Viewing CC in a VoiceThread
- Editing CC on VoiceThreads
- Downloading CC from VoiceThread
- Creating a transcript from a downloaded caption file
Tutorials from VoiceThread
- Closed Captioning: https://voicethread.com/howto/closed-captioning/
- Full-screen mode: https://voicethread.com/howto/full-screen-mode/
- VoiceThread Universal (for screen readers): https://voicethread.com/howto/voicethread-universal/
- Zooming: https://voicethread.com/howto/zooming/
Using VoiceThread on Mobile Devices
Learn how to use the VoiceThread App on your phone or tablet.
Accessing VoiceThread for Students
You can visit the CofC Knowledge Base and search for VoiceThread to access all of the articles to help you diagnose any issues you are having.
You can also visit the troubleshooting videos created by the VoiceThread company
- Clearing your browser cache: https://voicethread.com/howto/clearing-the-browser-cache/
- Comment could not be processed: https://voicethread.com/howto/comment-could-not-be-processed/
- Enabling cookies and local storage: https://voicethread.com/howto/enabling-cookies/
- File upload issues: https://voicethread.com/howto/file-upload-issues/
- Save PowerPoint presentations as PDFs: http://bit.ly/ppts2pdfs
- VoiceThreads are not loading: https://voicethread.com/howto/voicethreads-are-not-loading/
Tutorials from VoiceThread
Groups and contacts: https://voicethread.com/howto-categories/groups-and-contacts/
Listening to and viewing comments: https://voicethread.com/howto/listening-to-and-viewing-comments-2/