UPDATE: JUNE 2015 — THE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON NO LONGER SUBSCRIBES TO THIS RESOURCE AND THEREFORE IS UNAVAILABLE. THIS PAGE IS INVALID BY HAD BEEN LEFT FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES.
NBC Learn is a digital media library created by NBC to which the College now subscribes. “NBC Learn has already digitized more than 12,000 stories from the NBC News archives — one of the largest news archives in the world, dating back to the 1920s. In addition, collections are updated with current events every day, Monday through Friday, with stories from such celebrated programs as NBC Nightly News, the TODAY show, Meet the Press, Dateline NBC, as well as the networks of MSNBC, CNBC, and Telemundo.” NBC Learn has created original content that ranges from sustainability to the science of the Olympics. This content is easily accessible within OAKS for both you and your students.
NBC Learn is a subscription service and therefore the videos are viewable by CofC faculty, staff, and students only.
NBC Learn is also available in two versions:
- NBC Learn Higher Ed: media curated for use in a higher ed environment.
- NBC Learn K12: media curated for use in a K12 environment and is tied to state standards. In some cases lesson plans are also attached.
- current events
- supplemental material
Application: NBC Learn (accessible by multiple methods)
Tutorial Type: Text-based
Platform: Online, cloud-based
NBC Learn is accessible via multiple methods depending upon your need.
- Access NBC Learn via OAKS – great for adding specific videos for your students to watch. You can also add the NBC Learn media portal to allow students to search for and watch media while in OAKS.
- Access NBC Learn via the Library Databases – quick and easy way to access and watch the media on campus or off. Not all features are available using this method.
- Access NBC Learn via a Personal Login – this method is great for creating playlists of media to show in class.