Hispanic Studies Student Focus, April 2023: Cameron Akers

By | April 17, 2023

Hispanic Studies’ Student Focus feature for April of 2023 is Cameron Akers.

Cameron is yet another example of someone who has managed to combine a major course of study in Spanish with one in a complementary major (there are so many!)—in this case, International Business. Among the many activities in which Cameron has involved himself during his time on campus are his participation in both the Spanish Club and the Finance Club. Of course, he hasn’t been to many in-person meetings of either group this semester…Did he lose interest? Did he resign his membership? Neither/nor. He decided to spend the Spring 2023 semester in Trujillo, Spain!

Related to the above—and beyond—Cameron has distinguished himself by being named to the College of Charleston’s prestigious Dean’s List, as well as by being a part of the CAA Conference Championship Golf Team, the latter during the 2020-2021 season.

In his own words…

“I arrived at CofC in the fall of 2020 on a golf scholarship and faced a year of unknowns. I worked hard and became a part of a conference championship team while excelling in the classroom. However, I felt that I had been missing out on a typical college experience and decided to take time away from golf to chase new passions. I had been an exceptional Spanish speaker and student ever since I was in middle school thanks to the influence of my dad as he majored in Spanish at the University of Virginia. I also had a keen interest in business, so I decided to combine the two. The Spanish department at CofC has been beyond helpful during my time here and I am extremely grateful for the opportunities they have presented me. Sra. Hanahan was a key player in my experience as she urged me to double major in Spanish and International Business, as well as apply to study abroad in Trujillo, Spain in the Spring of 2023. I am so excited I listened to her because I have had the pleasure of immersing myself in Trujillo with a wonderful host family and the proud citizens of the town. Here I am also doing an internship with a local hotel creating small-group travel excursions for American travel companies in the Extremadura, Spain region. This has given me the chance to improve my business skills as well as showcase the beautiful area of Spain that I call home. With this experience, I have also had the chance to travel around Spain and Europe. With the continued guidance and support of the Spanish department, I hope to return to Spain in the future and forge a promising business career and continue to learn and grow in the beautiful Spanish culture.”

One thought on “Hispanic Studies Student Focus, April 2023: Cameron Akers