header image

Meet Samantha Fresh, Anthropology Major and HSS Scholar

Posted by: Tracy Burkett | April 17, 2019 | No Comment |

What made you decide to major in Anthropology?

Dr. Joyce’s Introduction to Anthropology class challenged me to look at the world differently and more holistically. I found the eye-opening perspectives provided by anthropology to not only validates my experiences but seeks to validate the human experience.

How does this major fit in with your life plan?

Anthropology is a stepping stone for me to pursue an advanced degree in Biological Anthropology. I hope to one day have the experience and knowledge to help identify victims of war crimes and genocide.

Do you have any favorite anthropology courses?

Introduction to Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Forensic Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, Archaeology, Language and Cultures

Who is/are your favorite professor(s) and why?

There is not one professor in the Sociology or Anthropology department that has not positively influenced my experience at the College of Charleston. I could write pages on how the faculty has been a pivotal part of my college and personal experience; however, for the sake of brevity I am going to highlight a couple professors that have been involved in my journey:

Dr. Hays: Dr. Hays has been my adviser for my time as an anthropology major, and I couldn’t have asked for a better person to help guide be through my time as an undergraduate.

Dr. Foley: Dr. Foley is a never-ending source of inspiration and encouragement. With her help and support, I doubt I would have been able to adapt to the changes and hurdles that life and my education has thrown my way.

Are you working on a Bachelor’s Essay, Independent Study, or Internship? If so, what are you working on?

In 2017 I worked on an Archaeological project in the Ancash Region of Peru, during my time there I worked to document and measure different metatarsals and metacarpals. Out of this experience came a research project that I have been working on, in conjunction with others, to analyze whether certain metatarsals and metacarpals were smaller than the general population. After determining they were small (only in their length), the findings and differential diagnosis were presented in a poster at the Annual North American Paleopathology Association meeting in March 2019.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan on working in Cultural Resource Management or as an Administrative Assistant for a University, while I apply to graduate programs.

What advice do you have for students deciding on their major?

Keep an open mind, and try to let go of your exceptions of what an Anthropologist “should” be or what a Chemist “should” be or even what a linguist “should” be.

What has been your greatest accomplishment at the College of Charleston?

My greatest accomplishment at the College of Charleston has been learning how to accept my limits and push beyond my fears.

under: Uncategorized

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories