header image

Meet Dr. Moore Quinn, Anthropology Professor

Posted by: tillilied | December 4, 2015 | No Comment |

How long have you been teaching at CofC?

Since August of 2001.

What were you doing before coming to CofC?

I was an Adjunct Professor of Anthropology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Director of Special Projects at Cultural Survival, Inc., which is also located in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Where did you study and what inspired you to study Anthropology and become a professor?

A lifelong love of language inspired me to study Literature, then Folklore, then Anthropology. It took a while to “find my true love,” but once I did, I never looked back. My advanced degrees are in Celtic Languages and Literature (Harvard University) and Anthropology (Brandeis University).

IMG_0968What is your favorite class to teach?

They’re all my favorite!

What was your favorite class when you were in school?

Any classes taught by inspiring teachers were my favorites. I found that professors of Language, Literature, Folklore (especially Irish and Celtic Folklore) and History drew me in, like a moth to a flame.

Do you have any advice for current or prospective Anthropology students?

Be willing to open your eyes, ears, and most of all, minds, to other peoples and cultures.

What do you like most about teaching?

My students inspire me every day.

What are you looking forward to this year at CofC?

Having just returned from a year’s sabbatical, I am enjoying settling in to my pedagogical routine again. I enjoy getting to know my new students and having them get to know me.

What do you like to do outside of teaching?

I love to write and research, and that’s how I spend a good deal of my spare time.

What is your favorite book or are you reading anything interesting?

At present, I am reading about the life and times of the playwright Eugene O’Neill, who wrote “Long Day’s Journey into Night” and many other prize-winning plays.

What is your favorite food?

My tastes are eclectic. I love healthy, well-prepared food. I gravitate towards the cuisines of India and the Mediterranean.

If you could have dinner with one person, living or dead, who would it be?

It would be an honor to dine with the Dalai Lama. I shook his hand once when he came to Brandeis University; I admire his ideas about compassion.

Where is your favorite place on earth- vacation spot, writing/reading corner, etc.?

I’m at home anywhere on the island of Ireland.

under: Faculty Spotlight

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories