header image

Pamela Corwin (ANTH ’06) Livin’ the Wildlife

Posted by: Melissa Page | June 24, 2013 | No Comment |

In the first edition of our Alumni newsletter earlier this year, we asked Anthropology Alums to help us name our new newsletter.  The Anthropology faculty voted on the names submitted and Pamela Corwin (ANTH ’06) was the winner with ‘The Egalitarian’.  Congratulations, Pamela!

Pamela is currently a Wildlife and Fisheries Biologist with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.  She is the recipient of the 2013 School of Science and Mathematics Outstanding Graduate Award at The Citadel, the Clemson University Restoration Insitute Center for Watershed Excellence Best Student Presentation, and the Best Student Poster Award at the South Carolina Water Resources Commission Annual Conference, among many other awards and acheivements.  She completed her masters degree at The Citadel while working full-time and serving as a member of the National Guard.  The Post & Courier recently wrote an article highlighting the important work she is doing in Lowcountry rice fields.Corwin, Pamela_2

What you have been doing since you graduated?
Joined the Army National Guard, obtained a job with SCDNR and currently work as a wildlife and fisheries biologist, and earned my masters in biology.

What is your current position?
Wildlife and Fisheries Biologist, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.  Day to day work is different…electrofishing rivers and lakes in South Carolina for population estimates on various species of fish; producing, stocking, and monitoring American shad and striped bass; bird surveys; banding various species of birds; habitat assessment; attending to injured wildlife; working with the public; and educating about the importance of conservation.

What advice would you offer to new students at the College of Charleston who are thinking of declaring a major in Anthropology?
Study Abroad!! I learned so much about what culture truly is by going to different countries and learning about different ways of life. This helps put a lot of anthropology classes in perspective.   

What advice would you offer to students graduating from the College of Charleston with a degree in Anthropology?
Anthropology can be used anywhere! You don’t have to look for a specific job in anthropology to use it. What I learned at the CofC has helped me in dealing with anthropogenic practices and conservation. You wouldn’t think anthropology could be applied to conservation biology but everything has a history. Having the means to work with various cultures and habits has helped numerous times in the field.  My masters research was almost ethnobiology. My research involved remnant rice fields on the Cooper River and how they provide surrogate wetlands to various species of fish and birds. These rice fields were part of the Southern culture and our history as a state. Normally, we wouldn’t think that anthropogenic practices such as this would benefit an ecosystem. It turns out, our history is very important to our future.

What was your most memorable learning experience in Anthropology?
Biological Anthropology with Dr. Cope. It was the most memorable because it was the hardest and I LOVED it. However, Dr. Rashford was the reason I came to the CofC. I admired his love for teaching, and the ethnobotany course he taught during Governor’s School.

How has your experience in Anthropology at the College of Charleston helped you in your career?
Conservation can be hard in South Carolina, especially when people have roots in certain cultures. For example, some people want to eat sea turtle meat. Well, you can’t do that in South Carolina. Helping them understand why is all part of the process. Having the understanding of culture and customs has helped me by not jumping to conclusions. Biological anthropology has helped me with everything from form to function to evolution to teeth. I use it in my education programs a lot.

Corwin, Pamela_1What unexpected benefits have you derived from a degree in Anthropology?
The ability to identify teeth (Dr. Cope would be so happy!), and being able to talk about different cultures to the public. 

What class did you most enjoy while earning your degree at the College of Charleston? 
Ooohh, that is a hard one. It would have to be between underwater archeology and social & cultural change.

What class was the most applicable to your everyday life now that you’ve graduated?
Biological Anthropology

What made you choose the College of Charleston over other schools?
Dr. Rashford. I had a chance to go to big schools/universities, but I knew I wouldn’t have been able to receive the same education.

under: Alumni Spotlight

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories