header image

From Atlantic to Pacific, Gee ANTH Alums are Terrific

Posted by: Melissa Page | June 24, 2013 | No Comment |

Katie Rosenblum graduated in December 2012 and was selected by the Anthropology faculty as one of the Outstanding Students in Anthropology for the 2012-2013 academic year.  During her time at the College, she was accepted into a record number of honor societies, including: Lambda Alpha, Phi Kappa Phi, Pi Delta Phi, and Phi Eta Sigma.  Shortly after graduation she moved to San Francisco, CA, for the enviable opportunity to live and work aboard a ship.  Read more about her experience below.

Katie and students touching a Sea Nettle (jellyfish) during a plankton lesson.

What is your current position? Include job title, organization and a brief description of your day-to-day work.
I am currently an Educator and Deckhand for Call of the Sea. I work and live aboard the Schooner “Seaward” an educational tall ship that is used as an experiential learning platform. Our mission is to connect people with the sea and maritime traditions, with a focus on empowering youth from all backgrounds.  We primarily work with fourth and fifth graders from the Bay area, however we teach children ages 5 to 17 throughout the season adapting our lessons to the age and skill of each group.

What advice would you offer to new students at the College of Charleston who are thinking of declaring a major in Anthropology?
Anthropology brings into question cultural boundaries that many are blissfully unaware of throughtout their lives. This major will allow you to broaden your world views while honing critical thinking skills and promoting an individualized educational experience.  

What advice would you offer to students graduating from the College of Charleston with a degree in Anthropology? 
Anthropology majors aren’t offered as many opportunities directly through the College of Charleston’s career center networks. I found that most Anthropology majors are encouraged to go directly to graduate school, however, I feel it is important to pursue your anthropological focus within and outside the field before heading off to get a Masters Degree.

What was your most memorable learning experience in Anthropology? 
My first Anthropology class my first semester at the College of Charleston. I was instantly hooked by the charismatic, eccentric professor and the overwhelming feeling that this major would allow me to be amongst people who shared a common world view and value for cultures both past and present.  Performing a musical interpretation of the relationship between language and power in ANTH 205 (Language and Culture) was also very memorable.  It may have been painful for my classmates to hear me sing, but I will never forget that final exam!  I am grateful for the significant impact that all of my ANTH professors and particularly Dr. Christine Finnan had on my academic trajectory.

How has your experience in Anthropology at the College of Charleston helped you in your career?
My experiences in Anthropology equipped me with the necessary tools to relate to and respect the children and adolescents we teach every day. As an educator, I encounter a variety of backgrounds, demographics, and experiences, including those who speak English as their second language and children with mental disabilities. The necessity to refrain from ethnocentrism does not only apply to those traveling to distant lands; its value is often greatest within our native culture.

What unexpected benefits have you derived from a degree in Anthropology? 
Meeting another Anthropology major creates the same sort of bond you encounter when meeting someone who is from the same hometown.

What class did you most enjoy while earning your degree at the College of Charleston? 
Comparative Social Organization

What class was the most applicable to your everyday life now that you’ve graduated? 
The Anthropology of Education. Working for an experiential learning platform, I find myself referring back to past lectures frequently.

What made you choose the College of Charleston over other schools? 
I grew up in Savannah, Georgia, a city much like Charleston. It was important to me that I went to college in a city that was thriving outside the campus.  I also loved the small classrooms at CofC that allowed me as a student to have greater access to my professors.

How has a degree from the College of Charleston improved your ability to network? 
Charleston is a city with a rich history that leaves an impression on all who visit. As a “Southerner” in Northern California, my background is always a topic of interest.   

How has an Anthropology degree made you a more well-rounded person? 
Anthropology emphasizes a holistic approach that allows me to explore a variety of fields such as historic preseveration and public health. These experiences have provided me with the necessary knowledge to apply anthropological perspectives to any career.  

under: Alumni Spotlight

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories