Power and Virtue

Of all of our readings, I found Chaucer’s Gentilesse the most interesting. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the earthly love lyrics, and found the religious lyrics, especially the conversation between Jesus and Mary in Stond well, moder, under Rode, I liked Gentilesse the most. The “fader of gentilesse” and “the firse fader in magestee” can be interpreted as Jesus or God, however, when I first read it I interpreted it to literally mean an ancestor. On second look, I interpreted the poem to be praising God, appreciating Jesus’  virtue, and reflecting on the lack of virtue in the upper class or powerful leaders of society. The first stanza initiates the idea that true virtue is not something you are born into, it is something you achieve by the way you act. In other words, the powerful are not necessarily virtuous just because they are bishops, kings, or emperors. Chaucer states you must hold virtues and get rid of vices like Jesus did. The poem points out that although riches may be passed down (to men with vices), no man can pass down his virtue.  This reflects a flaw in society, possibly pointing to the corruptness of the rich and powerful, stating that they may have titles and crowns but they may not be virtuous. It could be considered a critique of the powerful by pointing out their flaws, one being a lack of faith and virtue, and expressing a need for the powerful to also be virtuous.