The College of Charleston Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) team has advanced to participate in the SIFE USA National Exposition, to be held in Kansas City, MO, May 22-24, 2012, after winning their bracket at the regional competition in Charlotte earlier this week.
In addition to winning their bracket, the CofC SIFE team won the 4.0 club award, a recognition of quality educational programs, success in SIFE and long term sustainability to improve the quality of life and standard of living for others. The team was also awarded Club 44, for having 44 or more active team members during the academic year 2011-2012.
Under the leadership of Dr. David Desplaces, associate professor of entrepreneurship, the CofC SIFE team organized seven community projects with 47 team members, and 15 business advisors. The team dedicated 1,227 hours to the project with 304,053 gross impressions.
The team, who has been preparing for the annual competition since January, was challenged to apply business concepts to develop outreach projects in an effort to inspire economic hope and opportunity by teaching children about the global economy, providing necessary assistance to aspiring entrepreneurs, helping low-income families achieve financial independence, and by emphasizing the importance of ethical and moral practices.
The 2011-2012 College ofCharlestonSIFE Team representatives consist of the following members:
- Julia Campbell, business administration with a concentration in leadership, change, and social responsibility,Clemson,SC,
- Sarah Cielinski, international business and marketing, Crested Butte, CO
- Trent Edwards, business administration and international studies,Myrtle Beach,SC
- Megan Fischer, business administration and economics,Chicago,IL
- Matt Mintz, business administration and hospitality and tourism management,Santa Barbara,CA
- Dylan Reddy, international business and entrepreneurship,West Columbia,SC
- Taylor Vickery, business administration and commercial real estate, Columbus, OH
SIFE’s mission is “to bring together the top leaders of today and tomorrow to create a better, more sustainable world through the positive power of business.”