header image

Alumni Spotlight with Second Lieutenant Logan Fitchett

Posted by: wichmannkm | October 19, 2017 | No Comment |

Second Lieutenant Logan Fitchett graduated from the College of Charleston as a political science major in 2015. Originally from Newport News, Virginia, Fitchett just completed her first year of service with the United States Marine Corps. The Political Science Department had the fortunate opportunity to learn more about her career.

Can you talk about your decision to join the Marine Corps?

After I graduated from College of Charleston in 2015, I moved back home and was applying to jobs. My mom suggested I look into the military which was not anything I had really considered. However, when I met with the Marine recruiter and started the application process, I could not believe I had not thought of this option sooner. As I became more exposed to what Marines do, I learned that the lifestyle really worked for me. The challenge and physical demands of the Corps, along with the great individuals that join, made me realize I really wanted to be a part of it.

What training have you received in the Marine Corps?

Officer Candidate School (OCS) is a ten week boot camp for officers which consists of physical and mental screenings. After finishing as a Second Lieutenant at OCS, I spent six months in Quantico at The Basic School to learn how to become a basic rifle platoon commander. In the Marine Corps, you acquire a military occupational specialty but you also need to be able to pick up a rifle in combat. At The Basic School, I received training in the use of weapons, tactics, and leadership. At the end of this training, I compiled a list of my preferred military occupational specialties. I was assigned as a combat engineer, and I am currently at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina for this training. I am learning about wood framing construction, urban breaching, constructing obstacles and survivability positions. After this training, I will be stationed at Camp Pendleton in California.

What has been most challenging and rewarding about joining the Marine Corps?

The most challenging aspect of being a Marine is that it continuously forces me to be out of my comfort zone. You have to do things you are not comfortable with but then you start to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. For instance, during OCS, you may get up early to go for a hike but then be thrown into an activity where you are leading your peers through the woods on a mission.  It’s made me a stronger person and I am grateful for that. During my time in the Marine Corps, I have enhanced my leadership and problem solving skills along with my ability to adapt and make decisions under pressure. The most rewarding part of this experience so far has been the Marines I have had the opportunity to work with. I am surrounded by great people including my peers and higher-ranking Marines who inspire me to give 100 percent each day.

How has your college education prepared you for your career as a Marine?

Traditionally the College of Charleston does not seem like a school where graduates would go on to the military, but it was a great stepping stone to get here. It’s such a special place with so many opportunities for unique experiences. I especially benefited when my professors incorporated the City of Charleston into learning. I brought a well-rounded perspective to my career. My liberal arts courses have given me a lot of information on different topics. For example, my knowledge of sociology was helpful because as a Marine you work with people all the time. Most people who study political science have an interest in what is going on around the world and current events. Having a global understanding is also critical in the military.

under: Uncategorized
Tags:

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories