Staff Picks!: November 21st, 2016

giles untitledCeleste Suggests:
Ben Giles

“We all know that collage is a big fucking deal right now and if you ask me, I think the hype is very deserving. Collage has been through many trials and tribulations and she (yes, I’m defaulting to the feminine tense) should dance in her limelight because well, she’s a really cool gal. Norwegian artist, Ben Giles, has helped her skyrocket into fame by creating new fantastical narratives that are seamlessly unexpected. They are silly and thought-provoking, a combination which I find very challenging to obtain. But then, while trolling his portfolio I had one of those jaw-dropping moments as I clicked on a section labeled ‘photography.’ I sat there, in the art building (my home) starstruck by his work in 35 mm and polaroid. His photos are both relatable and transportive, filled to the brim with color all whilst maintaining simplicity. Basically, this is the most ‘my aesthetic’ work I’ve ever seen, so I have decided to finally move off the Simmons building couch and make a new home for myself by using his prints in a house of cards inspired architecture; so wish me luck and I’ll make sure to send you that evite for my housewarming party!”
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

9780060959685_lMcKayla is re-reading:
The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav

“I’d wager that this book could be considered creative nonfiction. Though this book first came out in 1979 and we’ve made a few advancements in physics since then, this book remains very relevant in a world that looks more and more each day to the stars. I recommend this book to all of my Astrophysics major friends, but also to anyone else who wishes to gain a deeper understanding of the Universe while forgoing the math. As a physics tutor and astronomy teaching assistant, I know that visualization is key in teaching very science-y concepts to people with more liberal arts-programmed minds (like myself), and Zukav has written the whole book out in very precise metaphor, pictures, and Eastern philosophies with only optional math in the footnotes. And– he’s funny too.”
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.

51rhnofa42lJules is reading:
The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy

“‘Her presence brought memories of such things as Bourbon roses, rubies, and tropical midnights; her moods recalled lotus-eaters and the march in ‘Athalie’; her motions, the ebb and flow of the sea; her voice, the viola.’ So writes Thomas Hardy in one of his most loved novels, The Return of the Native. This story, which was met with some controversy when it was published in 1878, is a sort of romance that focuses on the experiences of, mainly, two women and three men over the span of a year. The setting, the bleak but possibly bewitched Egdon Heath, as well as the flighty passions of some of the characters and the turbulent relationships that ensue, make for an exciting and at times sensational tale. Though I’d recommend reading it first, there is an excellent audio version of The Return of the Native read by Alan Rickman, whose voice perfectly evokes the drama Hardy created.”
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

fates_and_furiesClaire is re-reading:
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

“Groff’s prose is poetic and literary but easy to consume. She tells the complicated story of a twenty year marriage, and shows us that sometimes, it’s secrets and lies that help people build a life together. I had the privilege of meeting Lauren Groff and hearing her read from and speak about this book before I read it, which really brought the stories and images alive for me, but I recommend this book even if you’ve never read her before. It’s a long read, but worth it.”
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Michael suggests:
Lygia Pape5__large“Lygia Pape was a Brazilian artist, sculptor and film-maker that helped found the Neo-Concrete movement in Brazil. Neo-Concretism is often seen as the beginning of contemporary art in Brazil and Pape’s work focuses on the mixing of aesthetic, ethical and political ideas to create a contemporary dialogue on Brazilian life. Her work explores how humans communicate and understand power and government. In her work, Magnetized Space a installation space is created by arranging metal wire and lights in a dark room to create a truly interactive visual experience.”
http://www.serpentinegalleries.org/exhibitions-events/lygia-pape-magnetized-space

51xvn8s4tml-_sy344_bo1204203200_Tim is reading:

W.H. Auden: Selected Poems

“Auden was one of those twentieth century poets whose quality of verse matched up with a shocking level of output. This collection shows the man in his fullest capacity, utilizing his stunning poetic range to tackle romance, death, politics, nature, humanity, and sometimes all five at once, in a voice that remains relevant today (“September 1, 1939″ takes on especial significance here). There’s really not much else to say about this; if you haven’t read Auden yet, now might be the best time to pick him up.”