Hispanic Studies’ Student Focus: February 2019

Alexandra Helfgott, a double major in Spanish and Political  Science (’19), is a Swanson Scholar and a William Aiken Fellow in the Honors College where she has served as an Honors Engaged Liaison for Trident Literacy Association and St. Matthew’s English as a Second Language. On campus she is a Spanish conversation peer teacher; a voting member of the College of Charleston’s Honor Board (2016-present); and past President (2017-18), Chief of Staff (2016-17) and Freshman Senator  (2015-16) of the Student Government Association. In 2018 she was named Outstanding Student of the Year for the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, and she was also inducted into the College of Charleston’s Hall of Leaders. Beyond campus, she spent the fall 2018 semester studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and she serves as a medical interpreter with the Asociación Latina de Servicos and the Costa Layman Farms Health Fair in Augusta, Georgia, both of which enable the provision of healthcare services for undocumented, uninsured, and low-income Latinx patients.

In Alexandra’s own words:

My time in Hispanic Studies has been so impactful and the meaningful relationships I’ve developed with professors have proven to be invaluable. I will forever be grateful for their support and encouragement throughout the last four years. Upon graduating, I plan to pursue a joint JD/MPP to work in migrant labor policy where I can employ the skills and knowledge I’ve gained from both my Political Science and Spanish coursework. With the support of my Hispanic Studies faculty and positive experiences within the major, I feel confident in my Spanish skills and look forward to continuing the next chapter my professional life while also pursuing the goal of increased proficiency in Spanish.