HISP Faculty Focus, May 2018: Professor Marianne Verlinden

Dr. Marianne Verlinden

Before joining the College of Charleston in 1999, Professor Verlinden earned her Ph.D. in Latin American Studies at Tulane University, and her M.A. at Louisiana Tech University.  Currently a Senior Instructor in the Department of Hispanic Studies since 2009, Dr. Verlinden has taught at every level in the Spanish curriculum to include basic language through graduate courses, and almost everything in between to include Hispanic literature, culture, translation and Medical Spanish, among others.  Besides her work for the Department of Hispanic Studies, she has taught for the Honors College, the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program, the M.Ed. in Languages program and the past M.A. program in bilingual interpreting.

In addition to her vast teaching experience, she has served the department, the School of Languages, Cultures & World Affairs, and the College in countless ways through several departmental ad hoc committees on policy, co-direction of the study abroad program in Spain, the Latin American & Caribbean Studies Program Steering Committee, the Graduate Council, as Global Scholars Mentor, on the First Year Experience Committee, Faculty Senate, and Faculty Welfare Committee, among numerous other activities.   In her own words:

I feel fortunate to work closely with our students, and, through both teaching and advising, encourage them to communicate in another language, and open their eyes to other cultures. Whether they are at the beginning of the journey, like in SPAN 101, or eager to develop their language skills and cultural competencies in professional contexts, such as in SPAN 316, students keep me on my toes, challenging me to constantly reexamine my teaching practice, and that is how it should be! Likewise, I greatly value the opportunity my service work affords me to hear and learn from the diversity of views and approaches to teaching and learning represented among colleagues on campus.

The Department of Hispanic Studies is grateful for Dr. Marianne Verlinden’s many ongoing contributions to students, her academic unit, and the College of Charleston, and for being selected for our May 2018 “Hispanic Studies Faculty Focus.”

HISP Faculty Focus will resume in August 2018 following the summer break, so please stay tuned …